Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Night in the Mission


By 5:30 p.m., I had to get out of the house as the sketchy but promising details came in. There was already a building vibe on the streets. Back home by before 8 p.m., and McCain is making the call. It's over.

I remember being in Manhattan 16 years ago when it felt that sea change had arrived. Nothing has felt quit like this in my political lifetime. Rarely would I say that I feel a need to hit the streets, but on this night it merits it.

UPDATE: Yes, too bad about the news so far on Proposition 8 (at 8:37 p.m, but it's not over). I got a robocall from the Yes on 8 sewer maggots playing a quote of Obama saying marriage is only between a man and a woman. Did they target Democrats to just be spiteful or thinking they would actually sway votes in the 13th hour? A sign that the work is just beginning not over, but we have crossed an earth shattering threshold. The road ahead will be incredibly difficult.

Even with the blood curdling boos in his audience, McCain showed some grace in his departure. I'm fine with sending out kind vibes to him as he continues on his new path as a late night comedy show guest. It suits him well now that the Oval Office is in the hands of a leader.

UPDATED UPDATE: Shockingly, Obama took only just shy of 85% of San Francisco County who are those 30,000 Republicans living here?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

Aw crap. Sorry about Prop 8. Although I have no real idea what happened there. Still not enough local reportage...Listening to Obama there...Am cautiously happy.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - Being proud to be American and having a leader headed to the White House is so overwhelming, that it's hard for me to define my emotions. We now have a president more progressive, ethnically diverse and articulate than the leader of France.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

obama, obama, obama!!! I'm deliriously happy. and doubly delirious that ohio is now a BLUE state - it was so hard being a blue girl in a red state!!

guess we don't have to move overseas afterall....thank goodness as I don't know how I would have swung it financially.

will have to keep an eye on what does happen with prop 8....but overall I am hopeful about civil rights for all people with barack in the oval office!!

obama, obama, obama

agree mccain had grace even if his people didn't....

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - I can give up any ill will towards McCain. I want to believe that he is a decent person who allowed himself to be kidnapped by the wingnuts and picked Bible Spice as his running mate.

Welcome to the Blue Side. I'm proud to live in the bluest county of the bluest state (okay, Massachusetts is more blue to the core) in a now blue country. There are hazards with that, and I am glad Obama clearly said that very hard work is ahead.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

I'm sad about prop 8 winning.

Obama's victory speech was wonderful. I cried a couple times. AND he mentioned gays.

The guy who does Andre the Giant did some great election art this time as you have a photo of his stuff on your site JT.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - Oh, wow. Which ones are Andre's?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home