Friday, May 14, 2010

Way Out Berlin or Kartoffelbrei Westerns


Bryce Digdug came over the other day for a record party. He had some real gems to share such as Dora Hall's version of "Satisfaction", the Swedish Airline Service/Mitch Miller collaboration "Let's Fly Up to Europe", Elvis' last live concert, The Ray Charles Singers (no, not that Ray Charles) and others.

Perhaps the weirdest was one from the series Winnetou and Old Shatterhand, from Karl May's series of the same name that was later made into the above film starring Lex Barker who was fluent in German, Italian and Spanish. Although I am vaguely aware of Karl May, I never knew this series which some credit as predating and predicting the Lone Ranger. May never visited the U.S. until after writing the series and never traveled west of Buffalo, so his perspective was, to put it kindly, a bit skewed. Although I've known Kafka's Amerika which has a similar perspective, this one is new to me an quite intriguing.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Christine H. said...

I love all of these, including Glenn with his white pants. I especially love that beautiful, relaxed couple. You're right, they do seem to have a certain chemistry. I wish you knew who they were, but mysteries are wonderful too.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Christine - I hope to resolve the mystery. Surely we'll figure out who that charming duo might be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home