Friday, June 11, 2010

Sepia Saturday: Private Life, Family Life

(Our contribution to Sepia Saturday. Check the others here.)

This week I finished Jane Smiley's great new novel Private Life. Besides being a compellingly written story, I was struck by how the life of its central character Margaret Mayfield could have been any number of my female ancestors. Moving from Missouri to California, she suppresses her own aspirations and dreams in order to be a dutiful wife.
In a recent interview, Smiley mentioned that the story was inspired in part by a distant relative she knew little about and ended up inventing her fictional character from that base. I've said more than once that some of the most fascinating family photos are of those I never met and knew little about.

Born in 1874, Lulie Ann Fleming was the youngest of the nine sisters of my great-grandmother Eva Bell whom I chronicled in this post.
Like Margaret Mayfield, she married at 27 in 1901. In that era, I am sure that her family worried that she was on the road to be an old maid. Seen here with her husband Charlie on their wedding day, I can imagine the guests whispering "I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen," as she walked down the aisles. I am always drawn to the hankie delicately placed in her lap.Although they lived in Kansas, not Missouri, Charlie and Lulie left for California sometime during World War I. I am sure that this was devastating to my great-grandmother since she had no other family there, all the other siblings still in Quebec. This shot is of Charlie on the Kansas farm sometime before their departure to California.
Taken in 1911, this shot shows four of their six children, including the youngest, Bessie, and Lulie's parents Spencer and Elizabeth visiting from Montreal. One son died as an infant, and another was on its way.

This final shot is from 1948 at Knott's Berry farm with Bessie and Lulie. Notice that nearly five decades after her wedding, she still had a hankie in her lap. Having been born in the days of horse drawn wagons as the main means of transport and much of the American west still a frontier, Lulie must have found it bemusing to pose for this re-enactment of it.

Looking at the photos of Lulie, I see so many familiar aspects of her face that remind me of the women in my family -- especially the position of the nose above the mouth. Seeing just that portion of her face, I could think it was my mother, sister, niece, aunt, grandmother and other women in the family. I can even see a bit of it in my own face.

I have never met any of Lulie's offspring, those surviving likely being fourth, fifth or sixth cousins. But I am curious where they are in California, if our paths may have crossed without us knowing it. I know that having these photos of Lulie was a great comfort to my great-grandmother who felt so alone in Kansas, and it is intriguing to look back at them and try to guess the fuller story.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Blogger Barry said...

An excellent collection of photos and a very interesting commentary. Photos can only take us in so far can't they. Then the conjecture has to begin.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Kat Mortensen said...

Some fantastic photos, Ladron. Lulie looks a very proud woman. She must have been not a little pleased when she put the predictions of Old Maid to rest.
I married at 33 and I'm sure a few people thought it was a shotgun wedding. Ha!

Kat

 
At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Nana Jo said...

In the wedding photo, Lulie looks well satisfied to be married almost as if she's saying, "there, see all you doubters, I'm a married woman now!"

Wonderful photos, and an interesting correlation with the novel you mentioned. I'll be on the lookout for that book.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Superb clear photos and the comments ...makes me think about how the women all used hankies back in the days ago, often with hand sewing of initials and crochet lace around the edges. I have a collection from my grandmother and aunts,and greats..interesting commentary on perhaps passing relatives unknown to us. I have thought that same after genealocy research traced some distant relatives to CA where we lived 40+ years.....

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful pictures and story. I agree I bet Lulie said now see I told you so. Hooray for her. Great post.
QMM

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

That second photo is just marvelous! I can't stop starring at it! Such strength and determination in her face.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Natasha and Jesse said...

I love the second photo. What a great looking couple. And the relatives would be shocked today to seen women getting married way past 27!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I love the wedding photo and the family photo. In the wedding photo she looks very satisfied. (And so does he, for that matter.) Her dress is beautiful. Thanks for sharing their story with us.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Christine H. said...

A wonderful chronicle and pictures. For being married 'so late' , she managed to have a suitable number of children anyway. I would love to know more about them.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger L. D. said...

The photos are so great and I really enjoyed reading the post. Sometimes one just scans it but it was really interesting to read about her and to see the family. Yes at 27 they must have thought they were going to be stuck with her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home