Friday, September 10, 2010

Sepia Saturday: Abandoned

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, I worked for a couple of small town and suburban newspapers. At some point I will trudge through old photos and articles. I enjoyed interviewing local eccentrics and recall being in a tiny, poorly ventilated dark room as I processed film and made prints. "Surely a day will come when all of this can be done...without these wretched chemicals I mused." I don't miss the chemicals but sometimes I miss those images slowly emerging in a pool of developer under a 25 watt red light.

Much as I loved the people photos, my favorites were those of abandoned places and buildings such as these two. I don't know anything about the stories behind who lived here once or why these places were abandoned. The fact that they are a mystery is probably why they most appealed to me then and now.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 2:00 AM, Blogger Marilyn & Jeff said...

They are wonderful photos and I am sure that they hold many stories.

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Martin said...

The best fun of all, is playing the guessing game and considering the various scenarios. I also like shots of abandoned places.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Christine H. said...

I'm ready to move into that second one. I know it could be magnificent. AS for cameras and all...I am trying to sell a few nice old SLRs for my brother. You virtually have to give them away. I completely understand too - digital is so much more convenient.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Marilyn - I wish I knew more. That silver trailer and car make me think of the 1960s Warhol Factory days.

Martin - Maybe Willow might borrow these for a Magpie Tale prompt.

Christine - That second one looks like Grey Gardens mixed with Grapes of Wrath.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Tattered and Lost said...

For some reason I also miss the smell of the chemicals. Probably just one of those sensory nostalgia whims and the reality would have me running for fresh air. Love the photo of the car.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Tattered and Lost - I think I "miss" it in theory more than reality. I could not get the scent out of my clothes after two washings.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger PattyF said...

Great photos! Both evoke the feel of a bygone era, while at the same time making me sad to see such neglect and decay. The house in the second photo looks like it must have been quite something in its heyday.

By the way, I agree complete -- these would both make excellent Magpie prompts!

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I find it interesting that they have the "date stamp" on the top of the house.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Bruno Laliberté said...

maybe those familes had no cjhildren or they got wiped out by wars or sicknesses. or a reversal of fortune forced the occupants to move out...
who knows?

HUGZ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home