Sunday, April 03, 2011

And I Will Know She Is There...


One of the important parts of the healing and acknowledging that I will never hold Bow's wiggling, warm body in this existence again is knowing that while I may not see her dashing down the hall it does not mean that she is not there.

Each day I keep thinking of ways that her life will not be forgotten and will have influence for years to come. In my life and in others.

Over our two and a half years together, we did a number of evaluation visits for families considering adopting a basenji. In most cases, she was the first live, in-the-fur basenji they had met after seeing photos and videos but not the real thing. In every case, she won them over and confirmed that they definitely wanted to bring a basenji into their family. In the years ahead as those families continue to love and nurture their basenji, they will think back to that day when they met Bow and how she touched their hearts then and now. And in that moment as their hearts are warmed by her memory, she will be there.

With each visit I have become more thorough in my questions and knowledge of whether a family is prepared to bring a basenji into their home. I am more confident and diligent in making sure they are the right fit for these precious little creatures. This came not from great research or reading but from living with Bow and all that she taught me. In the weeks, months and years ahead when I assess further families, I will know the right questions to ask because of my great teacher Bow. And when I am bold enough to ask questions about how secure their cabinets are or how they would react to shoes being chewed or if there are holes in their fence, I will know she will be there. Guiding me to make sure this is a basenji safe home.

Thank you, Bow, for helping me make sure that more basenjis are able to find the appropriate safe, loving home.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Hello Ladron, I am sorry I missed the posts about your having to surrender your beautiful Bow. My heart goes out to you! What a beauty.
I'm not certain I understand your post, does it mean that you will be getting another dog of the same breed? I hope you will...because we people need our fur friends for certain. I might sound overly dramatic, but when I had to part with my cat Ruggles, I thought I might die. Now I have two "new" cats and they do fill my heart with joy. I recall someone saying to me: When you look into your new kitty's eyes, it will be your special pet's eyes that are looking back at you. I think that is what you mean by this post. Hugs to you (({{{{Ladron}}}}}}.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Celeste - Thanks for the kind words. I lost my two cats of nearly twenty years just before she arrived. She was 8 and a half, but I had her only two and a half years but considered her the great love of my life. I plan to eventually consider another basenji or maybe a pair. But a proper amount of time must past. I need to honor the grief, the healing and let her live forever in my heart. I will need to know that she will be there to watch over whoever is the next member of my pack.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

this is what is so crazy about owning a pet...having to part with them. it seems extra unfair that you had to go through it in close succession. I know what you mean about not running out to "replace" (which can not be done anyway). Thinking of you! Make a page for Bow if you want to have a permanent online place:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSvcid=72130&GRid=23516965&

 

Post a Comment

<< Home