Tuesday, July 12, 2011

We Find the Oddest Things

Indeed, we call this place Junk Thief, and that is a spirit we take. But is it junk thievery if it's discarded junk, just waiting to be rescued? And is it junk? Having two rescue basenjis (who are the opposite of junk), I think about all the treasures out there waiting to be rescued. Some of the most curious items in my home are "pound art" and "shelter furniture". I am forever picking up pieces of paper, discarded baskets and other pieces on the street that often go into collages and assemblages.

Shaka and Audrey often weigh in on my finds, and they realize that just as -- sadly -- there are shelter animals that are not adoptable, the same holds true with junk. The morning after the Fourth of July, we happened upon this oddity. Clearly, Audrey was still stressed from the previous night's fireworks, but she was quite clear that this was one that "will probably have to be put down" and suggested that we just move on.Some days, such as this morning, we happen upon things that are so odd and intriguing, you just wish you knew the whole back story. We came across this triptych on a single sheet that boggles the mind. It starts off a bit morbidly. Is that really a dog or a frog? And was the one on the left scratched out because the one on the right was more realistic?

Okay, now the story gets a lot more upbeat, Though much smaller, I can buy that this really is a dog. Though I hate to quibble, it looks like the dog is not enjoying "a" cookie but four. Or maybe he enjoyed one, and the other three were yucky. We may never know for sure.
And, finally, it gets mystical. I buy that it's a billygoat and that those are rocks. He ponders them? And why? And what happens next?

We may never know the conclusion of this story. We may never know who the artist and author were. (I'm sort of assuming they were the same person.) It's all mysterious, but then it may be next summer's blockbuster movie. But then, I've never been able to stay awake through an entire Star Wars movie and fell asleep during the opening credits of one of the Spidermen movies on a flight to Newark. However, I can sit through five hour documentaries about 12th century Catalan art without blinking an eye.

We do find the darndest things in the Mission.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

LOL! entertaining post! I am glad that your dogs are "assisting" you in these discoveries. Yes, the uh...scarecrow is meant to just keep laying thar! haha. The entire "series" that you found is indeed very unusual. I wish I knew why he committed those ideas to paper. Thanks for sharing all this....you are such a great writer!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

p.s. isn't funny how I automatically assume the dog & goat artist is male? I can't fathom a female doing drawings of a dog "eating his leg"

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

Landron, I assume that not only do you use these objects in collages and assemblages,
but decoupages too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home