Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Remembering


I'm not sure where this puts me in the ranks of cranks, spinsters, and heirs to Grey Gardens, but today the memorial stone for my cat Whimsey that died last September arrived, nearly six months to the day. It was odd and comforting at the same time to hold the stone that weighed about the same as he did and place it in the garden where his ashes rest and he loved to sun and play.

Even if one were not to get sentimental about the cat himself, it was the fact that he marked a significant chunk of my life, more than a third of it. It has been pleasant today to watch the sun play off the imperfections and subtle highlights of the stone. And, were I ever to move from here, I can take it with me.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:21 PM, Blogger Eva the Deadbeat said...

That is really sweet. Being of the Grey Gardens variety myself, I can totally relate to your love of Whimsey. Have you ever been to the pet cemetery in the Presidio? Underneath the freeway near the horse stables? I used to go there on my lunch break when I worked SF International. It is truly dreamy...

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

One site on my SF list I've yet to tick off. Thanks for suggesting.

I have been to the one in Colma where Whimsey was cremated. A bit weird, and in addition to animals they have buried a birthday cake at a clients request. Yes, I know very strange, but it's in their literature. Guess it's a case of you pay, we'll bury anything. That's why I insisted that I be the courier of my cat's ashes, not them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home