Thursday, August 30, 2007

Just Get on the Bus!

Not that I'd ever be one to follow the pack, but I thought I'd keep in line with my fellow bloggers and share this photo of my first day at school. It was...uh...a few years ago. Amazing how photos speak volumes. Just look at how that little twerp clutches his hands, waiting with such intent. That expression suggests he plans to try to keep the teacher in line and would prefer to be the one teaching the class (which he did try a few times). So intent, and amazingly I feel the same vibe today. For whatever dreams have been dashed, bumps and disappointments in the road, I really see myself as that kid under the tree waiting for the bus (actually my obsessive mother drove us, made sure I got to the right room, still had my lunch money...) It suggests that I've not learned a single thing all these years later or have retained much of the same optimism and verve or maybe a mix of all of it.

More touching to me is the photo of my dad (second from the left in the back row) and how much of him is still alive today.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Aw. Such a good little boy.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You were ADORABLE! And you do indeed look like you mean business. It's sad that our safe little baby bubbles have to get dashed or popped as the case may be...but we all make it out alive and you certainly have a huge heart still and a lot of humanity... Same for my darling Gavin. Sam, Trev and the rest will survive and better yet, like us...thrive.

xoxo

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Emily Suess said...

If you were my adopted uncle our family's response to that photo would be, "You were SO cute. What happened?" :D

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - Yes, every mother's dream child.

Lauren - Actually, I've managed to live in a bubble most of my life.

Emily - Oh, you made my day! Excuse your Uncle Junk Thief now as he goes to stick his head in the oven after that last remark.

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Sweet! Love your black socks.

And the pic of your dad is just perfect. What is remembered, lives. Thank you!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Reya - Thanks. I don't get it. Would you wear anything other than black socks with shorts?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home