Monday, December 10, 2007

Jamiroquai You Say? No Way!

I've always loved the campy performances of Vincent Price and the bizarrely macho-homoerotic flicks of Samuel Fuller. House of Bamboo is a great piece of evidence, if only for its wacky production aesthetic. However, I never knew that Fuller and Price once collaborated on the gloriously wacko The Baron of Arizona, a little known film of more than half a century ago about an equally obscure tidbit of lore of wild west self-deluded aristocracy equal to Emperor Norton.

At first it seems a tad odd to see Price in a Western, but he's soon hanging out at a monastery, and then off to Paris and Madrid, making me long to be back in the madre españa in outfits that make his turn in Laura seem outright butch. Oh, the floral waist coats, glam bauble adorned hats, scarves and lace cuffs!

My only complaint with the usually thorough Criterion is that there aren't any extras or director commentary in this volume of the set of early Fuller films. But it's worth checking out, if only for the gloriously arch dialogue. A few samples:

Narrator: But the Baron would not see the Contessa that night as he said. He had other plans. He was ready to come out in the open!

The Baron: Aren’t you happy to see me?

Sophia: I can’t see you for the tears.

The Baron (First in a scene with the Contessa and then with Sophia): I have been with many women before, but with you I am…afraid!

Sophia: I loved you from that first time you gave me a second piece of candy.


I will have to remember this lines the next time I am back in Arizona or, better yet, Spain and can claim my royal heritage.


Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Junk Thief, you so crazy.

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Great pick-up lines he's got! You're sure to melt some hearts (or get some strange looks) with those words, especially if you're wearing your brocade vest.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Dave - Please show respect to royalty!

Jill - Yes, I have my ways with the ladies. I'm ready to come out in the open.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger WAT said...

I have no idea where you get your post ideas from, but this one is your bizarrest yet!

Speaking of Vincent Price, I have a clip that Imma post sometime soon, that I found funny.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Scot said...

Of course that would imply he regularly gave her a second piece of candy.
Well, here's to getting a second piece from time to time

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - Imma? Wasn't that Vincent's third wife?

Scot - The second piece is always the threshold to addiction.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

House of Bamboo is very homoerotic. ALso- the interior design is without par. Sort of James Bond (Goldfinger's house at the ranch). THe opening sequence with the train. It's a great film all around.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - The interiors in The Baron of Arizona are not only without par, they are beyond Jack Parr. They are opulent without being baroque, exquisite yet not Byzantine. When Vincent Price declares his royal birthright in the desert, he lisps with a Spanish accent yet is not castilian. What could that mean?

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I'll have to rent these.

This line is truly a gem:
Sophia: I loved you from that first time you gave me a second piece of candy.

Alone it is worth the price of a dvd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home