Saturday, June 14, 2008

Raccoons of the Third Reich

Although I think coatimundis are one of the cutest creatures on earth and have long considered having a skunk with its scent pouch removed, I've always despised raccoons. Is it any wonder that in Germany, a country with which I have a few issues, is now feeling the impact of raccoons of the Third Reich. In 1934, Hermann Göring oversaw the release of American raccoons that had been raised for their pelts. Apparently it was one of those fun science projects the Nazi so enjoyed, though this one came back to bite their great-grandchildren on the keister. Recently they have been ravaging the wine vineyards near Kessel north of Frankfurt. There have been a number of reports over the past few years of their growing population which has gone from the past few years. In less than a decade they have grown from around 20,000 to over a million in a few square miles. We promise to continue wildlife and livestock updates here on Junk Thief. We know that we've gone too long without discussing Vicuñas.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

the picture of the raccoon featured in your link - raising his paw to in a heil salute is too much!

I did not know this, before the mouse became my main totem animal, the raccoon was. I do not how to react. although not as horrific as the slaughter of the millions of humans, I find it very disturbing that nazi were also slaughtering stolen raccoons for their pelts.

all I can say is I'm glad to hear that the raccoons are free, free at last.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - I am fine with raccoons as long as they stay free of my yard.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger WAT said...

I think raccoons are cute. But I stay away from them. They can get quite big and look a bit menacing.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - I know some people that fit that description too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home