Sunday, August 03, 2008

Closing Chapter

Today I made what is most likely a final visit to the house my grandfather built 50 years ago on a street he named in my honor and that later served as my parents' home for nearly 30 years. The happy memories far outnumber the sad ones that filled the place from around 2001 to 2006 as both of my parents, and the property, faded. I am risking jinxing the final signing by the new owners, a wonderful young couple, by mentioning it.

This final image that I snapped as I walked away is of my favorite feature which so evokes the spirit of my grandfather and his vision. It brought me happiness looking at it upon arriving there from my earliest memories. It is a fitting vision for farewell and a hope that the next 50 years will bring as much joy.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger WAT said...

A house can have powerful memories and emotions for sure. I cried when I had to leave my childhood/teenage home of 24 years, just two years ago.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - I never actually "lived" there besides a few interim points between jobs, houses, partners, etc. But it still holds a lot of personal history.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Is that in Oklahoma?


Please join me in extending best wishes to the presumptive Democratic nominee for president of the United States, Barack Hussein Obama, today, on the occasion of his 47th birthday.

Thank you.

--EHR

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

ER - It is.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

I'm not sure how to even sum it up; there's such a sadness in houses.

But of course, that's because of how much joy you suspect once was there. The opposite is true, of course, too.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - At least my own, current home is a happy place, and I plan to keep it that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home