Thursday, October 30, 2008

Goodbye My Sweet Prince

After two months that have been 99% bliss, I am sorry to share that the other 1% has forced me to make the excruciating decision to return Guru to the rescue group on Friday. Nearly a dozen close calls involving his aggression with other dogs and strangers (the last one targeting the three-year-old great-grand daughter of my neighbor) and three biting incidents (the last one drawing blood), have finally forced me to agree to this painful decision. I would prefer to have a vital organ pulled out of me. But I have to keep reminding myself that he is a dog not my baby and that I have to be focused on what is best for him not my sentimental ideal of him. All the kudos from the rescue network assuring me that I've gone from being a basenji novice to an emerging expert don't help.

I keep trying to remind myself that I did exactly what I said that I would do by being a transitional foster parent and not his real dad during this chapter of his journey and would adopt only if it was absolutely certain that he would be safe and that he could cause no harm to those around him.

Just when I thought I was able to handle this decision, I came home tonight with him being the most excited and loving he has ever been after one of my trips.

There is no comfort in having to close my chapter with Guru, but now I am wrestling with making the decision of how best to respond to the need of providing a foster home to...
...Puma...
...or Benji and Maggie...
...or Bes and Sati. The challenge will be not taking on all five. There are many other basenjis out there needing love and care, and I am intent on providing it not letting it whither away because of this sad episode.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger WAT said...

:(

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger r. said...

So sorry to hear that Greggie. I wish Guru the very best in life.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT & Robert - I am not at all happy and not even at peace with this. This sacred creature gave me far more than I ever gave him. The only solace is that I can open my doors for more basenjis in need and willing to share as much love as I have received from Guru.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger R.L. Bourges said...

A hard decision. But it's the right one. Wishing you the best with your new canines.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Oh, I'm crying inside. I'm sure this was a hard but necessary decision. Will they keep you informed of what happens with him? If so, please keep us posted.

Seconding wat :(

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

R.L. and Joe - Thanks for the support. I'm afraid that I don't want to know what their decision will be. They keep assuring me that I could not have been a more responsible and loving foster dad and to trust the experience of professionals with years of experience with disturbed and aggressive dogs. That doesn't help me much since I know that he gave me nothing be unlimited trust and love.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

I'm so sad to hear things didn't work out with guru... knowing it's the right decision I'm sure doesn't really help with the heartbreak.... there is a basenjis who has your canine 'soulmate' and it's just a matter of time ....

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - The hardest part was the Guru did feel like my soul mate and so completely trusted me. It's too bad that his first human's damaged him so much that he thought it was his job to protect me by going into killer mode if he thought a human or dog was going to take me away from him.

Not to get too New Agey, but I think Guru was a sacred animal who taught me how to be a better foster dad and ultimately guardian for my forever basenji. I'll never forget him and will always love him for that and much more. He truly earned his name Guru.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

Goodbye Guru. I will miss you so much.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - Well, you never got the chance to really meet him except the time he tried to bite you.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger The Blue Elephant said...

You did what you had to do. I had a friend who rescued a problem dog who was part pit-bull. Out walking with it, it attacked and killed a small dog beloved and belonging to an elderly Chinese couple. ?They were devastated, of course. A good deed can have horrifying results so I am glad you were spared that result. Sorry for the pain of loving and losing,,,

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jim - I was always torn between the two horrible options of facing the unknown of what crisis might happen or having to say goodbye. Neither were easy to face.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home