Goodbye My Sweet Prince
After two months that have been 99% bliss, I am sorry to share that the other 1% has forced me to make the excruciating decision to return Guru to the rescue group on Friday. Nearly a dozen close calls involving his aggression with other dogs and strangers (the last one targeting the three-year-old great-grand daughter of my neighbor) and three biting incidents (the last one drawing blood), have finally forced me to agree to this painful decision. I would prefer to have a vital organ pulled out of me. But I have to keep reminding myself that he is a dog not my baby and that I have to be focused on what is best for him not my sentimental ideal of him. All the kudos from the rescue network assuring me that I've gone from being a basenji novice to an emerging expert don't help.
I keep trying to remind myself that I did exactly what I said that I would do by being a transitional foster parent and not his real dad during this chapter of his journey and would adopt only if it was absolutely certain that he would be safe and that he could cause no harm to those around him.
Just when I thought I was able to handle this decision, I came home tonight with him being the most excited and loving he has ever been after one of my trips.
There is no comfort in having to close my chapter with Guru, but now I am wrestling with making the decision of how best to respond to the need of providing a foster home to...