Monday, March 30, 2009

Brace for Impact

I'm back into heavy travel mode and very challenging work for the next three months. It's not a complaint about my work, just the challenge of finding money in the current environment.

Leaving Bow with her English nanny this morning was difficult, but I take comfort in knowing that she will be in the best possible care.

Despite all the travel and destinations in my many years, descent into two airports -- Chicago and Denver -- typically stress me out the most. I usually know the forecast before I fly and those five letters WINDY did not relieve any stress for this trip, and the ride down was true to leaving most people on the flight either screaming or green faced. And it seems to be a 12 months a year thing for coming into Denver.

I made it, there are remnants of last weeks snow and more coming (twice) before I leave. At least going back up is usually easier than coming down.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

I have nothing good to say about Albany, N.Y.'s approach, either. Several random drops of what felt like twenty feet or so during an unending pattern of circling lazily.

Thing is, I fly so infrequently, I sort of took this all with a grin. "If I die, I die, right? Nothing I can do about it..." The people that were really freaking out were the commuters.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

safe travels....and good luck raising funds.... it is dreadful these days, but fortunately there still are pockets of generosity around and not everyone is in the economic dumps....

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - I fly frequently, and I remind myself that I've never even been in a near miss collision and have yet to die in a crash. The fact that I have five relatives who died in small plane crashed doesn't help in giving me comfort though. I sometimes think I'm part of the Kennedy clan of air travelers.

Mouse - There's nothing to do but just keep going and keep positive. So far this trip has been encouraging though no immediate pots of gold in them thar hills, though I know it will come eventually.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Screaming? Hm, I don't think I'd handle that well at all.

I'm variously routed through DEN, SFO, or LAX on my crosscountry flights as it's one of the few places with direct flights to SBA. Luckily, I've always had a good descent, and it's a great airport.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger ArtSparker said...

Going back up is usually easier than coming down...Makes me want to quote the sixties.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - For some reason, Chicago and Denver always have horrible descents for me. But I'd rather do transit in Denver than -- say -- Salt Lake or St. Louis.

Susan - Yes, even though there are thunderstorms tomorrow I am less concerned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home