Friday, December 11, 2009

Smiling in Deface

Much as I love his plays, I've been fascinated for years by Joe Orton's "defacing" of library books and always wondered when someone might mount an exhibit of them as art works. Well, the good folks at the Islington Local History Centre agreed and put up this exhibit.

Quite a few of them are new to me, and I love all of them. And, thanks to Friendatella, I came across this great dissecting of naughty Joe's vandalism:

And this groovy interview months before his death where talk show perennial Eva Gabor seems enraptured by him. That girl got around:

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger ArtSparker said...

Inspiring, I must get back to doing some guerrilla art...

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Susan - I can't wait to see that, and I won't tell the librarians...

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

What is happening with Eva's hair??? She must have had to see a chiropracter.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - I am not sure they had one in Green Acres

 

Post a Comment

<< Home