Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sepia Saturday: Our House, Glenn Bennett's White Pants and Other Sepia Mysteries

Although they can be cheesy as all get out, I can enjoy PBS series such as Antiques Roadshow, Mysteries of the Dead and History Detectives. So I will borrow a bit from them this week for Sepia Saturday. As the custodian of our family's historic photographs, I have managed to sort out the bulk of them and have them fairly well identified. However, there are still a few that need some clarification. This collection comes from the Cain family, on my maternal grandmother's side.

Many are frustratingly and amusingly vague such as the one above whose sole caption is on the front of the photo with no clue as to who the "our" in question is nor where the house might be. Any guesses? At first glance, it looks like it could be in southern California, but I've seen similar styles elsewhere in the U.S.
Now we're getting a little less vague, with this barn of my paternal great-great uncle and aunt, Cecil and Nannie Bennett in Brier, Kansas.
And here is a nice photo of Cecil and Nannie's son, Glenn.
Even more enjoyable is the caption on the back that informs us that what we are seeing is Glenn with his white pants. Were white pants something to shout about in Brier, Kansas?
Now we get a bit more mysterious again with this pair identified simply as "G.C." They are a fetching pair, pleasantly casual and seem to have a great chemistry. But who are they?

This shot of them really thrills me since it's so different from anything else I've seen of late 19th or early 20th century portraits. So charming, and I am trying to figure out what he is pouring and the vessel to receive it is. Milk?
Now we have a couple who are identified -- Perl and Tom Lokey. We have know Lokeys in our family tree, so I have no idea who they are -- neighbors, school chums, distant in-laws? They are a sporting pair whoever they are. Tom is rather handsome, and I love his fashion choices. Perl is no slouch herself, and I love that "just try to mess with me" smirk. Who do you think calls the shots in the Lokey House?
The subject of this shot is pretty obvious if you look closely at the sign on the building on the right -- Tokyo P.X. -- suggesting occupied Japan in the late 1940s, though the street scene looks earlier. Any guesses? It especially mystifies me since I know of none of the Cains serving in or visiting Tokyo.

Labels:

18 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Blogger tony said...

I love the G.C. photos.They do seem to have a lot of chemistry between them.Unusually, I love the way she towers above him, it suggests equality as well as Love.Nice Photos.Thank You for the sharing.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Tony - I like that chemistry too. It looks like she can hold her own, just as Perl can. I love my tough ladies!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Enchanted Oak said...

How marvelous and frustrating to be the keeper of such photos. I also like the G.C. set. She's very beautiful, and the pouring picture is unusual. Who lived in occupied Japan? I wish you could track that down.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Enchanted - Sadly there is nothing on the back of the Occupied Japan photo, but I plan to check around.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Kat Mortensen said...

These photos are terrific, but it's your comments that are so cracking me up! The one about the white pants was great. You are a stitch, Ladron!

The "pouring" photo is intriguing - she's reminding me of Helen Mirren in some of her roles with that big hat.

It's the "Tokyo" shot that has me captivated. Absolutely fascinating!

Kat

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Poetikat - Actually credit my grandmother for the comment about Glenn. Maybe it was a big deal for a man to wear white pants -- and that they were clean -- back then.

Yes, I am intrigued by the Tokyo photo. So many questions!

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Nana Jo said...

Love the captions! G.C. are an exceptionally attractive couple. Perhaps, Glenn was very proud of his white pants, thus the title. Pearl wore the pants, most definitely. She looks like a lady who knows what she wants. "Our house" is a 'very, very, very fine house" ...

I really enjoyed reading this!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Nana Jo - I agree that Perl wore the pants in that family. Wonder if they were white?

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great post. Loved the photos and the narrative, for sure. I am having a great time trying to did up photos for these posts. I think this is my first visit. Love it.
QMM

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Queenmothermawmaw - Thanks for getting off your throne to drop by. We welcome you.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

The pouring photo is amazing!

I could watch Antiques Roadshow and History Detectives every night of the week.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Willow - Glad you like it. I have quite few more for weeks ahead that fall into the "we just don't know for sure but aren't they cool" category.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I've enjoyed your photos and your captions. I think the white pants photo is funny because the pants just seem to disapper into the background like there's nothing but head, jacket, and shoes.

I love the couple photos. Too bad you don't know who they are. I should think some descendant would love, love, love to own them.

Thanks for sharing.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Martin said...

Although Glenn's white pants are special, the G.C. shots are my favourite. Perl and Tom Lokey run a close second.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Martin - I think you're hitting on something very important here. Although a man's relationship with his pants is very important, his relationship with the woman (or man, if that is his choice)in his life is more important.

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Alan Burnett said...

A great collection of "unknowns". The great things about such shots are that in the absence of firm information as to who they are or what they are doing - one can make up such wonderful stories.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger L. D. said...

I watch This Old House renovate a house like that was in Florida. There were a lot of them in the neighborhood. I like all your questions as I ask similar ones, like what is with all the stripped socks, Mom? You have a lot of interesting photos here.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Alan - Yes, it could be fun to write stories about these "unknowns".

L.D. - Well, I don't know of us having any family in Florida, but you never know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home