Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Libra Like Me

One of the reasons for less output here, at YouTube and MySpace has been an ongoing obsession to write out something about my aunt whose suicide in December. I have 35-45 pages, none of it completely weaving together, but at the same time I am glad I am capturing it. Were I ever to do something with it, it would definitely need to be fictionalized, but then she always lived life as a great fiction.

And, no, that's not her on the right, but it's all the more important to have her represented by this icon who was one of several women she aspired to be. For shy of three years she attained it during her third marriage when she played the role of (almost) Park Avenue Swan just down the street on Lexington Avenue, looking down in disdain from her living room window 24 floors below, disappointed that so few could see the perfect mannequin in the perfect dressing so far above them. And if you can't name the icon, than I guess you wouldn't understand either of the two women in question.

One of the eerie things was that we shared the same birthday -- September 26 -- separated by 19 years but both born at precisely 11:48 p.m. Like little Edie Beal she obsessed over her horoscope and would read it aloud to me. Unlike Little Edie, she married the prince, more than once, but lost her passion for the dance early on.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

I am looking forward to reading this when you finish! I am certain you will pay her a wonderful tribute...anyone who can draw a parallel between themselves, a relative and Little Edie Beal is someone to admire indeed.

Thanks for introduing yourself...*love* your blog!

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Thanks. We will see how long it takes to get it posted.

I dearly love Little Edie, but the photo (and my aunt's icon) was Babe Paley, the grandest of all Park Avenue swans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home