Wednesday, June 27, 2007

On the Edge of Civilization

I never thought that I would describe Gilroy as an urbane, sophisticated place with great restaurants and shops and a mild climate. But after the past two days of weaving through the desert, it sure feels like paradise as I make my final stop before returning to the JunkPlex and unload the treasures from Lazy Acres.

Ah, those final miles of the towns on Route 66/I-40. Don't forget Winona? Oh, I sure wish I could. Having been on the road non-stop since last Thursday and weaving through a total of ten states and more miles than I want to tally, I must say that the folks in those little desert towns were the spookiest. For all the reputation that Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma have for being backwards, they look like Paris compared to Kingman, Needles and Bakersfield. Never have I heard so much crappy country music (yes, a redundant phrase) as I did in those towns. And bad food and horrible radio stations. Arriving in Barstow at 8 a.m. where it was already nearly 90 degrees I had a caffeine orgasm if there is such a thing when I spotted Starbucks. After two days of McDonald's coffee, my java g-spot had me quivering and would have dropped my scowl if it hadn't been for all that friggin' sun. Supposedly McDonald's has upgraded their coffee, but they still use those hideous foam cups that make you feel like you're being baptised in a vat at a Dow Chemical plant.

And Barstow actually had radio stations that were a variation from the only two options during the past 300 miles -- horrific twangy country or screaming evangelicals. Hearing Duran, Duran ask "Is There Something I Should Know?" made my heart race even before I hit Starbucks. Nothing like '80s pop and caffeine to start a good day.

Regardless, I look forward to heading north and home tomorrow. Let's pray no one breaks into my UHaul tonight. UHaul. I hope I don't call that 800 number for at least another decade.

And what i thrill it is to be in even Gilroy where it's in the 70s compared to Ludlow which I went through at 6:20 a.m. before it reached today's high of 116.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger WAT said...

OOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEE!

YOU IN MY HOME STATE NOW! BETTA WATCH IT!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Scot said...

Must be regonal: I give myself away by knowing the Micky D's in the LA area use a cup not dissimilar to those of Starbucks and Coffee Bean. Even the gluttons and gourmands of LA require styrofoam-free beverages.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT: Whaddya mean MY state. I've lived here a long time too, but I'm willing to share it with you.

SCOT - The same is probably true in SF, but I don't think I've been in a McDonald's here after nearly 12 years of living here. I mean, what's the point of going to McDonald's if you live in SF?

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger WAT said...

Let's share the Aneros.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home