Sunday, July 22, 2007

Listen to Pinky, Your IQ Will Go Up 20 Points


After not watching much of anything on cable, DVD, YouTube or other screaming screens, I am suddenly hooked on the Pinky Show. Here is an amazing world view and history lesson presented from a little cartoon cat. Pinky has astute observations on the historical importance and contemporary relevance of Chicago's 1893 Columbian Exposition. In just a couple of minutes, Pinky can provide more insight about guns, globalization or the lunacy in Washington, D.C., than any of the major media outlets. Unlike Ken Burns, Pinky makes history interesting. Unlike Michael Moore, Pinky believes you can be a subversive prankster but still stick to factual accuracy and maintain a bit of humility. Pinky has all the conviction of Code Pink without the shrill self-righteousness.

Wow, I'm hooked and want to order the Pink Show when it comes out on DVD. In the meantime, there are these 21 videos on YouTube.

Oh, and Pinky reminds us that Thomas Edison was a heartless, cat-frying bastard.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 1:15 AM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Thank you. I learned quite a bit from this cartoon cat.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Emily Suess said...

Hey, what've you got against Ken Burns. When I was 10 I watched The Civil War and was captivated. Does that make me boring?

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Aren't all the best lessons presented by cartoon characters? It's true!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - The only thing more education is a real cat. Mine is a genius.

Two Hands - I actually like Ken Burns as well. It's just that his techniques get a little old

J. David - Casper taught me to be proud of who I am.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

I love Pinky. First, for her politics, secondly there is a whole family of related cat characters just like in the Sanrio Pantheon.

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Who would have guessed such astute cats would be out there in Baker, California?

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Scot said...

I spent the afternon watching all the under-10-minute videos. I do feel smarter, or at least more informed. I've always wonderred why we assign IQ based on knowledge and learned skills. (I'm sorry, but everything on an IQ test can be practiced and improved.) Intelligence and learning are not one in the same, just as learning & being taught are not the same thing (from Pinky's school nightmare)

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I agree on your thoughts about education, Scot. It's becoming "industrialized" as if test scores mean you are smarter when it's just about playing the game.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger WAT said...

Well, very informative. Thanks for pointing Pinky out to us.

The cat has a real mellow kind of depressing voice however. I dunno if I'm upset or quietly soothed.

LOL!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Eva the Deadbeat said...

i am hooked on Pinky too. Also, am in love with Ask E Jean - another YouTuber.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home