Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Vegas Prairie

I arrived late, was tied and didn't have a tripod, so I apologize for the quality of the shot, but I wanted to nab an image of the early 1960s Founders Tower in Oklahoma City. Unlike Kansas City, Omaha or other cities of the Great Plains, Oklahoma City retains little of its historic roots, not unlike Phoenix on that count. However, the Founders Tower has a great mob-era Vegas feel to it. The restaurant at the top used to rotate, though I've not been up there in 20 years when my aunt had her reception for her third or fourth marriage.

Sadly, the Continental Theater, one of the last Cinerama theaters built back in the mid-1960s was demolished this spring. I got this shot of it last August. There is an empty lot with a cyclone fence around it now.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger Joy Keaton said...

Before reading your post I thought that Founders was indeed a Vegas shot. Keep the photos coming!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger digibudi said...

We should gang a club, like; The Lost Theatre Club', or something..

It's strange that one can fall in love with a picture, a view, a building, any kind of 'dead' poetry..

I'll carres this thaught for a moment now.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joy - I just posted a ton.

Digibudi - I love dead buildings too.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Founders Tower: now condos, sadly. Top floor still roated when i was there for a Christmas party a coupla years ago.

Oklahoma: Southwest. Not Midwest. Pet peeve of mine. It's debatable. But eastern Oklahoma, where I's raised, in the SOUTH. Tulsa-Muskogee-Tahlequah ares, in the northeast, is the Ozarks. OKC, born overnight on April 22, 1889, is it's own city-state. Lawton-Fort Sill area might as well be Texas. Woodward area and Panhandle are the West.

The whole shootin' match is Southwest. I mean, Oklahoma ain't Iowa. :-)

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

ER - I won't argue with you on that. I think Oklahoma has identity problems on many levels, and it's sort of been co-opted by the South politically and no longer the Southwestern, Libertarian state I remember growing up. Thus I consider it impossible to live in and why I left years ago. Though there are many pockets of amazing people here.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger The Blue Elephant said...

Is it only when the Founders Tower is out of focus that it looks like an upstanding corncob? As you know, I love peeling the layers of time, looking for what is no longer there, dismayed by what is still there but changed. I don't know if it is the right word, but it is a favorite word: anamnesis. See you there.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

It does have a slightly corn cob appearance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home