Sunday, November 25, 2007

Deadly Desires and Pedal Extremities

Greed:Low

Gluttony:Medium

Wrath:Medium

Sloth:Very Low

Envy:Medium

Lust:High

Pride:Medium


Discover Your Sins - Click Here


A tip of the fedora to Huntington for alerting me to this interesting albeit somewhat dubious test. I don't fully agree with the assessment since I'd rank pride being in the high level, but most of the others seem pretty on target. I share the high level lust quotient with Huntington, however unlike him I am morally opposed to flashy jewelry. I can't explain why, but it offends me.

As a typical Thanksgiving ritual, I've been going through a process of various forms of taking stock and being thankful. I am in a far more thankful mode than I have been over the past seven years, having gone through dealing with several years of family illnesses and deaths.

On the material side, I've just completed a photographic inventory of my shoes, something I've done in the past and have found a useful way to keep my shoe lust in check. How many pairs are identical or so similar that they are indistinguishable from each other? Fortunately less than 3% of my current stock. So how many pairs would that be? Well, I won't reveal the exact number, but might run a contest to see who can guess how many digits are in that number. (The ten digits I put into those shoes each day don't count.)

I have mentioned before that one of the tipping points of dumping a guy I dated a couple of years ago was that he took pride in the fact that he could buy his entire wardrobe at Marshall's. (Or was it Mervyn's? Which is lower on the pecking order.) At the same time, I remember being with an ex at the Bloomingdale's at Stanford Shopping Center when a queen chased his significant other into a dressing room screaming, "Oh, no, you're not going to try that on. Not only is it plaid, it's button down!" I turned to my significant other and said, "If we ever get to that point, let's promise each other now that we'll call it quits." We did call it quits a couple of years later but it wasn't due to button down plaid but over whether or not it was insensitive to throw away a gift certificate a friend gave us to Pier 1. Perhaps that's why I ranked a little low on the pride scale because I ended up using the gift certificate. Pier 1 does have pretty decent candles, and once you pull off and throw away the labels no one knows the difference.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger WAT said...

AHAHAHA! Great test to take. I'll try and take it myself sometime soon, but I'm prolly gonna score like you did on the LUST scale.

Ahem.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

I'm SO going to take that quiz.

I may or may not have told you that I have an ex whose MOTHER bought his entire wardrobe at Marshall's. He was 32 at the time.

Indeed, much to be thankful for. :)

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Oh, damn: Pier 1 snobbery. Peel the labels of candles, indeed! I shudder to think what your opinion of Cost Plus is.

By the same token, I'm no Beau Brummel, but I think I might also draw the line at an entire wardrobe being bought at Marshalls.

I guess I wish I had your shoe budget. Should I assume you approve of Pikolinos? I'd have a closet-full if I could. Sigh.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - I wouldn't approve of an adult's mother buying his clothes even if it was from Barney's.

Kusala - I surely exaggerate my snobbery. I am more interested in fit and look than label. Pikolinos are generally out of my budget as well, though I did recently splurge on a pair of Bacco Buccis. I have more than my fair share of low end labels. My rule of thumb is that I'll leave the H&M label end but usually cut out an Old Navy label. You just never who might judge you forever when seeing it seeing it glaring at them from a bedroom floor. I'm not above buying socks at Big Lots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home