Saturday, February 23, 2008

Junk Thief - Live from Guaranda

Greetings from the cobble stone streeets of Guaranda. I have just come back from Salinas, the cheese and chocolate capital of Bolivar Province and head off to the northern highlands of Ecuador tomorrow. Today there was an extensive visit to a health clinic here in Guaranda that was, sadly, robbed last week of $25,000 worth of medical equipment. Considering this will cause challenges for them being able to pay their staff and provide deliveries to indigenous women f0r $50 or less compared to the local average of $200, this is tragic. But a happy ending and solution to the crisis are already in the works.

This internet cafe on the main plaza does not take SD cards, so no photos here until likely after I return. I did get some nice photos of cuys (live, not on the grill) in a village yesteday.

Special note to Bryce Digdug -- I saw a couple of vicunas mixed in with llamas on the road yesterday, but the van was moving too fast in the rain for any decent photos. I´ll continue to search for one if Bryce promises to vouch for me at customs when I fly into Miami next Thursday.

Hasta luego. amigachos!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

When the bells of the ice cream carts ring in Dolores Park I will be there with the vicuna. Only $10.00 to get photographed with Vi. Then, on my Betty Paige beachtowel, I will sit reading Sitwell Sitwell and feeding her handfuls of Meow Mix.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Since you are there please get to the bottom of this Yma Sumac story. Has anyone there heard of her or is she really the Brooklyn girl from the Capitol records accounting department Amy Camus?

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger jason said...

How's the cuy?

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I can't imagine how desperate someone would need to be to steal from a health clinic. That has got to give you some karmic debt to pay back at some point. At least there is a solution in the works.

Cheese and chocolate huh? Sounds like a yummy place.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger digibudi said...

Ahoy Captain! I didn't know you were traveling..
(of course it's because I've been neglecting my blogfriends..)
But I'll fix that, I'll print your posts and I'll read them on the beach tomorrow.. 'cause mister digibudi has a day off! yeah!
I'm so sorry about the clinic thiefs, I hope they burn in hell (and will not be able to find bandages)!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

"I did get some nice photos of cuys (live, not on the grill)" whew! keep it that way. ;)

how's the cheese? eek!

travel safe and look forward to your continuing travelogue with photos!!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - Save the last helado for me.

Gavin - I understood she was from Peru not Ecuador.

Jason - I finally had a nicely barbecued rib piece.

Gary - They think it was stolen for the black market in Colombia.

Nikolas - I am honored to be read in print. Are you still coming to San Francico? I would enjoy giving a tour.

Kim - Thanks. I head home manana.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home