Saturday, March 15, 2008

Fabulous Memories, Please Weigh In

A week or so ago, as a part of my ongoing analog to digital conversion process, I was intent on posting a lengthy piece that would re-enact the playlist at a party at the JunkPlex circa 1983. It started getting a bit more complex and tedious than my current schedule could accommodate and made me wonder if anyone would really care. The idea was to post some music from favorite bands, solo acts and oddities from the Junk Thief archives that you won't find on iTunes or other mainstream sources. I started doing short bios, photo sketches and background info with links to each song. I got about 10 songs or so into the project and got diverted.

So, starting somewhat randomly, I'd like to share an example that is not exactly the most obscure track but fairly representative of this project.

In 1979, I discovered Brit band The Fabulous Poodles, sort of a bridge to '70s rock and early '80s punk. They had a dynamite fiddle play that could keep up with Papa John Creach and what seemed at the time to be fairly silly, pointless tunes on the order of the B52s. A quarter of a century later, I see that they had more gravitas than I gave them credit with somewhat snarky but serious takes on suicide and eating disorders. Sadly, it was their swan song, Think Pink, that lead me to them. Amazingly, this group sold more units in the U.S. in 1979 than the Clash, but few folks remember them.

For a taste of their mix of whimsy and a good beat, check out "Pink City Twist" (as with future posts, I'll have the tune in red with a hyperlink to the MP3.

Let me know what you think of this ditty and if you'd like to hear more similar tunes, especially the more obscure ones. On an obscure scale, this one is on the lesser scale of the unknown.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 12:24 AM, Blogger r. said...

I miss seeing new pictures of you! Well, except for the b/w on the sidebar, but it just isn't the same! :-)

Hope you're having a great weekend Gregg!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I can't say this one made me a Poodles fan, but I'm all for discovering new obscure music. Keep it coming!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Robert - Good to "see" you back here. I'll try to post more self portraits soon.

Dave - Well, I always loved it for that "Goddamn think pink!" outburst near the end.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I used to dance to this damn song. one of four on the dance floor. Wow I forgot all about it.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - Yeah! I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers it. Who knows, we may have been dance partners at some late night place in the 1980s. Go figure.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I don't remember this song at all but found it rather enjoyable. Please do keep the music coming when you are able. I was wondering if there was a way to snag the music somehow and add it to my own music library. I didn't see any way to do that.

Did you know that there is also a children's book called "Think Pink!"

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gary - Watch out, I've just posted a big new pile. You can just hit "file" an then "save as" in your browser, at least if you use Firefox. I just discovered this weekend how to save YouTube videos and convert them to DVD. Too cool.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Gary said...

ooh, how do you do that?

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gary - If you have Firefox, just do a Google search on the order of "download Youtube with Firefox" and it tells you how to save them as an flv file. From there you'll need a conversion program to convert it to whatever player you use or as an MP3 (which is a pretty cool way to save some pieces as audio files). Mainly beware of free conversion software which come with spyware and viruses. Also, they often will imbed their logo in the converted video. Bleh. It's worth investing in a reputable conversion software.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home