Sunday, April 20, 2008

Oakland, Chinese Family Values and Le Cochon Danseur

Friendatella (whom I know well enough to call just F'tella) and I went to see a wonderfully obscure film tonight in Oakland's Lake Merritt District called The Curse of Quon Gwon, believed to be the oldest extant Asian American film, committed to celluloid in 1916. Clocking in at just around 35 minutes, it was a tale of a couple dealing with issues of in-laws, contemporary vs. traditional values, and cultural identity. There was also a moment or two of odd footwear and head dresses.

It was coupled with a 90 minute documentary called Hollywood Chinese that was also heavily promoted at the Asian American Film Festival last month where I saw the great documentaries on Anna May Wong and the Long/Leung family but have not gotten around to writing about. For better or worse, having a life has made me a bit delinquent on reporting and critiquing on this blog.

The best part of the evening may have been that I may be turning F'tella into a silent film buff after he went reluctantly to a Louise Brooks flick at last summer's Silent Film Festival. Speaking of which, I am glad to post this clip from one of my favorite discoveries from that festival last year in a retrospective called Saved From the Flames that featured many short Melies films and other early silent obscurities. Dancing, stripping pigs are always a great joy, as the clip below attests.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Damn... and I thought Xtube had some weird shit on it.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Dave - Here at Junk Thief, we aim to keep our weirdness as priority number one.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Wow, that was some serious odd pig action there. I was thinking that this piggy was being fairly abused by little Bo here (the stripping, the dancing) but if all of that did not shock and amaze me the final shots of the well dressed Mr. Pig giving some tongue action certainly did. Freaky indeed.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gary - Hey, what can I say, it's a French film!

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Thank you. I can die happy now.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - I assume you mean the pork not Chinese film. I'm surprised I've not heard from the other members of the pork pack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home