Thursday, July 17, 2008

What's You're Walking Score?

San Francisco is supposedly the nation's most walkable city in the nation, and my corner of the berg ranks a 92% score ahead of the city's average. Anyone who has ever walked here where 60-70% of the driver -- especially MUNI -- seem to take delight in playing pedestrian hockey would realize how outrageous such a score is.

The ranking site WalkScore is another interesting diversion. I've already wasted a good 90 seconds checking out the walkability of former addresses of mine.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I suppose it is better to walk than to try to park a car on those steep inclines/declines. I was just speaking with a friend of mine about a recent visit and he said it was amazing to see how the cars were parked.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gary - Coming from the flat Midwest, I was initially intimidated to park on the inclines/declines but now don't think twice as I shoehorn my car into the spaces. However, after a lifetime of driving a standard, I did relent to an automatic once arriving in the land of hills.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger WAT said...

SHOCK OF ALL SHOCKS! Los Angeles is at #9?!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - I don't see how San Francisco beat Seattle or Portland where cars stop before you even enter the crosswalk.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Whoa wait a minute. Something is screwy here. Downtown Los Angeles gets a 90% rating yet you cannot walk down there after 8pm. The area they designated as most walkable is in fact a very high crime area. Think tenderloin but rough.


Hmmm I dont trust this thing.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - Yes, I know the area. I speed up even when I drive there after dark. "Tenderloin, but rough" is a great description. Hey, if the SF Chronicle features it on their front page, it's got to be pretty screwy to begin with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home