Monday, July 14, 2008

The Unpleasant Mold of the Recent Past


I was talking to a friend the other day that five to ten years after the fact, pop culture of that period is regarded as ridiculous and embarrassing. After about 15 years it's regarded as worth re-examining, and 20 years on it has gone from camp to brilliant.

Where will Web Van fall on that map in a couple more years? When one of my exes was moving out in 2002, he was packing away his things in the storage bins of that then recently defunct dot-com. The only thing that I regretted about his departure was that he was taking those bins that I knew then would someday fetch a fair dollar. I never used the service, but even though he lacked the available cash he'd call them to deliver a container or cleanser and chewing gum in one order and charge it to his MasterCard instead of walking across the street to buy the same things. It was a fitting symbol of a bad era and bad relationship that would go bust with the new century. In the aftermath, I'd run into one of their former vehicles with their logo painted over. Now you don't even see those, and I rarely see him.

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Dave said...

...but in 20 years, he will seem like the best boyfriend you've ever had?

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Dave - No.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home