Monday, November 24, 2008

Interactive Monday: To All the Girls I've Loved Before

There is much debate about which is easier to handle -- male or female basenjis. With just over 48 hours together, I don't want to say too much too soon, but I am becoming a sucker for the lady basenjis.

It got me to thinking about the trends of canines in my life. In reality, there have been only three, two of which were officially mine and both of those were hounds, all three of which were girl dogs. I love male dogs as well, but not having a dog in my home since my college years, I'd forgotten how special it is to have a lady pooch around.

Mind you, I dearly loved my two feline boys who gave me nearly 20 years of close companionship, but my house is feeling so much more like a home with my new special someone who is snuggled up to me as I write this.

So here is the proud line of she pooches that came before her, and feel free to share the stories of yours.
JULIE (1964 - 1969) This lovely girl was the best possible first dog for a kid to have, and her early passing was a huge tragedy. She loved to terrorize gophers and was mainly an outdoor dog.
NINA (1965 - 1979) The little ones are always the bravest and longest living ones. Nina was a smart but devious little dog who was officially my sister's but very much the family dog. She was part of one of the first waves of Chihuahuas as a teenage girl fashion statement, and she ultimately became the close companion of my grandmother.
NATASHA (1974 - 1985) This lovely Basset fit to a T all the funny and sweet characteristics of the breed, including becoming overweight. Only after several years of my family's attempts at increasingly aggressive exercise and diet that did not work, our neurotic neighbor finally revealed over dinner "Oh, I just love that dog. She comes over every morning and I feed her 4-5 doughnuts." Just as Nina evolved from a high school pet of my sister's Natasha became more attached to my parents in my early 20s as I grew to think I was "too hip for a hound", a trend that has since reversed. If you've ever seen the movie "My Dog Skip" you have something of our relationship.

And by the by...though I'm pretty cynical and have more or less given up on internet dating, I encourage you to check out Bow's Dogster profile where she has a growing fan base. I would screen any boyfriend before she went on a date, but I know many boys are smitten by my gorgeous girl.

When it comes to Bow, all I can say is, "She had me at baroo."

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Aunty Christ said...

The thugs sent Bow a friend request.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Aunty - Oh, I feel honored, and Bow thinks their handsome devils. Friend request granted!

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

the only dog my family had was a boy dog. he was left behind in san diego when we moved from there when I was 5.

starting at 8 I started sneaking cats into the house and since then have been a die-hard catperson.

when I was 6 I was bitten by a dog and was fearful of dogs until I was 18 when I said I had to overcome that fear.

since facing my fear I have grown to love dogs (perhaps as much as cats) maybe some day I'll share space with a dog 24/7. right now I'm just a grandma or auntie to dogs. on the whole I have found girl dogs less aggressive than boy dogs. but there is variation.

in the cat world I have found the opposite is usual the rule. my girl cats have always been more aggressive than my boy cats -

but I love them all boy and girl cats and dogs! and I hope they love me!

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

p.s. I love the photos and blurbs about your various pups! lady bow is a wonderful addition

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - I don't know that gender really determines aggressiveness in cats or dogs any more than it does with people. The previous fosters tell me not to be deceived by Bow's initial shyness. She's not aggressive but can hold her own if called to the task.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - Yes, I am hoping she proves to be my "hound forever #3".

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Very nice and heart-touching retrospective of ladies. I will write my own homage to my beloved Brandy soon, in response to this.

I do think that girl dogs tend to be less high-strung, for whatever reason.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - I look forward to hearing about Brandy.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger ArtSparker said...

Why does my cat shake her first bite of dry food when she sits down to eat? Is she trying to break its neck?

- Dogless

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Susan - In all my years with my cats, I never had that issue.

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

re query about food shaking - I have had literally scores of cats over the years and have never had a dry food shaker. perhaps, artsparker's cat may be some dental issues or is hearing voices????

word verification this morning "listen"!

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - That is definitely a cat issue I never had. But my Bunter would push his water bowl all over the house.

Have you been over to ArtSparker/Susan's site? I think you two would enjoy each others views of the world.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger WAT said...

Female dogs are much easier and docile I hear.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - That's not the conventional wisdom on basenjis, and one of my trainers says that female on female dog aggression is worse than male on male. I wouldn't say that myself, but since the trainer is a woman I'll stick my neck out and do so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home