Thursday, November 06, 2008

Ironic?

Has it been mentioned and I missed it or has no one brought up the irony that Proposition 8 was funded by a religion with a history of making non-traditional marriage one of its core values and some of its radical offshoots still embrace? Many people get very upset or nervous when polygamy and same sex marriage are mentioned in the same breath, but it seems that members of a religion whose ancestors suffered through abuse and murder for their embracing of a form of marriage in stark defiance of Proposition 8 would have some shred empathy for those against whom it will discriminate.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Steve Reed said...

It was disappointing to see all these anti-gay amendments pass across the nation. But I feel certain we'll win in the long run. I'm not worried.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Steve - I agree. I think the U.S. will want to follow the lead of Canada and western Europe not sub-Saharan Africa when it comes to such social issues. It wouldn't surprise me if the Mormons also practice FGM.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger jason said...

I thought pretty much all Mormons were gay anyway....so that's like triply ironic, or something.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jason - I think every Mormon boy longs to be a member of the choir, if you know what I mean.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Joe said...

To paraphrase a former boss of mine: The sooner we realize that everyone is a hypocrite, the less psychically agitated we'll be.

Speaking of sub-Saharan Africa: I hear that the homosexual marriage is fully legal in the RSA. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - Another reason to move to the RSA which does have a great climate and nice wines.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home