Sunday, January 25, 2009

Down to the Palace to See the Dogs


I headed down to the Golden Gate Kennel Club Dog Show at the Cow Palace this afternoon. It reconfirmed a few things. I don't like dogs generically, find the really big ones intriguing the way I am fascinated by hippos but not something I want. I am still drawn to Harriers, Shiba Inus, Italian Greyhounds, Whippets, Greyhounds, Beagles and Huskies. Bijon Frises are my absolute nemesis.

Dog breeders are a breed unto themselves. I'll refrain from passing judgment and resisted taking a photo of a woman sitting beneath a Huskies of Northern California sign. The lone basenji breeder I met defied the norm and was petite, pleasant and praising of my decision to take on a rescue. There was also a basenji that was coming back from the show ring, but she lacked Bow's exquisite lines and grace.

The Cow Palace, on the other hand, has always fascinated me as a place you'd expect to find in Fort Worth or Omaha not San Francisco. It is neither a palace nor a place where there have been any cows recently. So I was pleased to discover the tributes to our state's great cowmen. I was wearing appropriate footwear, To Boot (the brand not the prepositional phrase).

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger WAT said...

Remember that really funny movie DOG SHOW?

LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home