Monday, January 26, 2009

Interactive Monday: Name That Band!

Okay, I've really been thinking about taking it from being a joke to reality of finding a bandoneón teacher and start a band because they look and sound so cool. Oh, I guess that I should also actually buy a bandoneón, but first things first.

I would see our band also having an oboe, pedal steel guitar, tuba, banjo, glass armonica, at least three harps, timpani drums, Vietnamese unicord and charangos. We'd also have occasional guest tambourine players who don't need to have any particular sense of rhythm but need to be really cute and popular to attract the right crowds.

We'd need to have some cute uniforms too, and we'd play a mix of Wagner with a country twang, tango songs with a klezmer swing, hillbilly ditties with operatic flair, Barry White tunes in German with me playing my Jew's harp to augment the banjo and big harps plucking away, a disco version of "Feelings" but with a polka beat and Bacharach tunes as if sung by Sid Vicious.

So, now here's the biggest dilemma. What should we call this band? That's where the interactive part comes in. Chose from the list below and also let us know if you'd like to join the band and which instrument you'd like to play:
* The Dangling Participles
* Gregg and the Egg
* The Outside Agitators
* I Can't Believe It's a Girdle
* The Manic Monkey Operatic Operators and Taxidermy Tax Accountants
* Shirley Pimple and the Pus Cats
* Gravy on a Stick
* Band
* The Duke of Hairdo
* Suddenly Salad! Suddenly Susan! Suddenly Last Summer!
* Tell Me Where It Hurts
* The Patty Hearst Avengers
* Strom Thurmond and the Grave Robbers
* Oh No She Didn't!
* The Thing That Ate Sarah Palin's Brain
* Wholey Night, Bloody Night
* With Six You Get Empanadas
* East Dakota/West Dakota
* We've Fallen and Can't Get Up
* Ocean of Motion
* The Cannibal Sea Kittens
* Pork
* Nosehair
* The Glow Worms
* The Breasts of Burden

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Sign me up for that banjo slot. And then get that bandoneon. Shit or get off the pot, man!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Dave - Uh, an appropriate comment considering your profile photo.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I see you've given the names a lot of thought. I think half of bands exist just because someone wanted a chance to use the cool band name they came up with.

Weird: I always thought the instrument was called a bandoleón. I just discovered that almost twenty thousand Google entries are as stupid as I am.

I've always wanted to play the oboe or clarinet (no woodwind instrument jokes, please).

How about going really wild and trying the pat-waing?

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - I've always been confused on the two names. Maybe mine is the kind that has a neon light on it.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger The Blue Elephant said...

I have always thought "A Noyse" would be good for one of the hard metal bands -- but I am still in the era of the Boswell Sisters.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jim - I thought the Boswell Sisters were a heavy metal band.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

How about Troubled Norwegian Youth?

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - That's good. Though maybe Broke and Anarchist Icelandic Youth might be more edgy.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

I can't decide wether I like Gregg and the Egg or I Can't Believe It's a Girdle better for a band name. I'll be a back-up singer!
Then, there's always Pork.
But then we'd have to play heavy metal.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - How about Miss Salty and Her Shakers?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home