Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Glasgow, the Morning After

Instead of being the zillionth blogger to post Susan Boyle's performance on "Britain's Got Talent" I'll offer this link to an STV interview the next day. Is she the spring's follow up to Chesley Sullenberger or the real time version of Little Voice? The idea of a frumpy, middle-aged, unemployed non-profit worker who'd recently lost her mother and wanting to dedicate a song to her seems to have captured the need for some unexpected glimmer in recessionary times. And while I've yet to see an American Idol winner whose hysteronics and vibratto merit buying one of their records, I have to admit being taken by Susan.

And, it should be noted that while the show my proclaim the talent of greater Britain, the above interview plays up that she is a feisty little Scot and ready to win the big one for the rainy land up north.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Um, I must really be under a rock because I'm one of the few people who knows none of the details of this phenomenon. I'm also too lazy to look it up now, but I'm sure I'll learn at some point. Unless I don't.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - Well, I really hate these type of shows, but seeing this little woman wipe away so much cynicism and without the usual talent show bravado is touching.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger r. said...

Yeah, wasn't she wonderful? She was even boo'd at first by the audience. She showed them, eh? Did you see the one with the little girl who sang Somewhere Over The Rainbow??? Same show!

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Robert - I saw that and it was sweet, but there's something about a frumpy middle-aged woman whose been made fun of all her life defying expectations that is more remarkable. However, I've never been able to make it through an entire Episode of American Idol.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Robert - I saw that and it was sweet, but there's something about a frumpy middle-aged woman whose been made fun of all her life defying expectations that is more remarkable. However, I've never been able to make it through an entire Episode of American Idol.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

it totally sucks that my sister in law's computer doesn't have sound! well, it has sound, but last time she did some 'work' on it it seems the sound disappeared.... will have to try and remember to come back when I get back home.... though that is still days away!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Kim - One thing that's not going to go away for a while is interviews with Susan Boyle. So you're not missing much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home