Saturday, January 09, 2010

Sepia Saturday: The Maternal Line

For sepia Saturday, I hope it's not illegal to "recycle" past posts, but I'll share this post I did back in December 2006 after making a series of short slide/music shows for the holidays about different branches of the family. It came at the end of a two year stretch of much loss (both of my parents, my aunt, one of my cats, a few friends.) Knowing that those memories were still there, and looking at relatives lost even further back and seeing them so young and stylish is reassuring.

The pair above are my maternal grandparents, Ralph and Nancy Polley, on their wedding day in 1923. I've always loved this photo since it has such a F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald feel to it, and I love the photo of them on their roadster while taking a vacation in the Rockies. That's my mother peering out the back window. My favorite part of this photo is the technical "flub" of the shadow of the photographer at the bottom. Who is it? Another family member along for the ride? A mysterious stranger who kindly took the shot? The outline of the hat adds to the mystery, though I can't confirm if it's a man or a woman. A couple of Christmases ago I had this photo transferred onto a tin box which was a real hit with the family members who received it. They didn't complain about the toffee inside either.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Well, I hope it's not illegal, either, because mine is also a recycled post!

What a handsome couple. I can see shades of Ralph in your face, Mr. Junk Thief.

Welcome to Sepia Saturday.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Alan Burnett said...

(1) There is no such thing as illegality in Sepia Saturday.
(2) What a fascinating post and you are so right about the Scot Fitzgerald thing, the picture with the roadster made me think of that scene from The Great Gatsby.
(3) Welcome to Sepia Saturday, it's great to have you on board.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Betsy Brock said...

Yea! Another participant! I'm so glad, because you have some wonderful pictures here! I posted a wedding pic of my husband's grandparents today, too! And the photo with the car is great! Thanks for joining in! :)

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Willow - am honored to be compared to Ralph. I used to think I favored my dad but see more of Ralph with passing time.

Alan - Thanks for initiating such a great post. Fortunately their adventures in the roadster didn't end tragically like in The Great Gatsby.

Betsy - Glad you dropped in, and I loved your photo as well.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Martin said...

Wonderful post for Sepia Saturday. The photographs convey the style and spirit of the time. I enjoyed this one a great deal.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

What a great gift idea - transferring photo to a tin box.

Maybe the shadow was made by a professional photographer? Cameras were prohibitively expensive in the 20s.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home