Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sepia Saturday: Among the Hmong

Of all the places I have visited, few have fascinated me as much as Vietnam where I travelled in 1992 and 1995, when going there was still a bit "forbidden" and raised eyebrows when I mentioned it.
Here I am on the right, hard at work taking several hundred black and white images (we'll call them sepia for this entry) and a few less hundred slides. I've been sorting through them and other pre-digital images lately as a part of the never ending digitalizing and sorting process.
All of these were taken in Ha Giang Provence on the China border and populated primarily by ethnic minorities that have long fallen out of the economic and social mainstream. It was one of the poorest places I've ever visited, though not as extreme as Haiti.
Sorry that this is more a visual than written entry, but I have written about travels there here earlier and would love to return.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did your job take you there?
:) The Bacn

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bach - Yes.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Martin said...

I love these photographs, taken on your travels.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Tess Kincaid said...

Super pics, Mr. Thief.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Martin - Thanks. I'd love to go back and see how things have changed there.

Willow - Thanks, but the contrast is a bit to harsh in some of these and I'd like to re-print them.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Christine H. said...

I loved the visual journey. I would love to visit there myself.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Christine - It's an amazing, diverse country filled with such wonderful people.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love your photos and they speak without words.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Pat - Thanks. There's much to be said for knowing when to say less.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Alan Burnett said...

They are photographs, they are not new, they tell a story : and that means they are sepia (in mood if not in pigmentation). And the monochrome nature of them seems to somehow suit the subject so well. No apologies needed.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Alan - Thanks. Glad to know we passed the test.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger The Clever Pup said...

Nice turn for Sepia Saturday. I love the last smile.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Clever - He does look happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home