Monday, April 05, 2010

Mi Gusto Caballero Reynaldo


Have I become so terminally unhip that I missed him over the past 15 years or are there others out there who have never heard of Caballero Reynaldo? All I have to say that I am hooked and in love.

Though never a particularly big fan of Frank Zappa, Reynaldo's take on "Lumpy Gravy" above is making me want to reassess his entire catalog. You've got to admire a man who sings the Sex Pistols, Kurt Weill, Nancy Sinatra, Ethel Merman and Zappa all in a mix of Spanish and heavily accented English.

He's sort of a combination of Spike Jones, autotunes, Alvin and the Chipmunks, El Vez, Bjork, Miguel Bose, Pizzicato Five, Andrew Lloyd Weber, Ennio Morricone and Cher. And his take below on "Jesus Christ Superstar" is definitive. "So Jew are de Christ? Jew are de greet Jesus Christ? Come on dee king uv dee yous."

Reynaldo is represented by Hall of Fame Records in Valencia, Spain.

They appear to have an interesting stable of equally endearingly insane artists.

I really didn't need another reason to get back to Spain, but now the need to get back is even stronger.

It's pretty funny to see what the Zappa-files say about him here.



Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Blogger Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

Well, I guess I take unhipness to even higher orbits. I live around 110 miles from Valencia and had never heard of Caballero Reynaldo until I read this post. But then again I am more of a Miles Davis trumpet man than a burlesque kazoo fan.

I'm keeping tabs on that list of yours of reasons to come out here and see us in Spain!

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Lorenzo - I never need an excuse to go to Spain. The only reason NOT to go is time and money.

Maybe we could head up to Valencia and descend on Reynaldo with kazoos and black sombreros. Something tells me he wouldn't complain. Actually I live for Miles, but I find Reynaldo pretty cool too.

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous guillermo uria said...

I love Caballero Reynaldo's music. But not only his Zappa and versions work.

try "La vuelta al mundo en 80 Kms" (2004) an incredible work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home