Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Healing Routines

One of the great things about having a dog in your life is that you have a series of familiar routines that shape your life and give it order.

Since the morning after Bow died, I have continued to go on our morning and evening walks, keeping our usual two mile walk each time with her collar in my pocket. The familiar routine, movement and being outside are helpful. How long will I do it? Forever perhaps, and when new dogs enter my life we may keep the same route knowing that she is watching over us.

This week I have started another routine. During our time together, I took hundreds of digital photos but only got around to printing a couple dozen of them. Trying to now print all of them is overwhelming, so I have started by having ten printed at random each day. I pick them up when I go to get coffee, and instead of having a pastry for a couple of dollars I have ten new prints of Bow. Some of them I don't even remember taking, and several of them show a side of her I don't remember seeing.

As the breadth of her life comes into focus in the larger scope, how thrilling that she can continue to bring joy and surprise me.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

wise and profound post.

aw junk, i'm so sad when i think that now only bow's spirit is by your side and not her body.

good luck with the photo printing project! i'm impressed!!

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Cat said...

I too have lost my beloved and keep the routines we had. Katie cat passed March 20th after almost 16 years of uncondtional love and a special companionship that won't easily be replaced.
My heart aches for your loss.
I am also remembering more of the best parts now but sometimes I'm flooded with sadness.
What a beautiful pup with such a sweet face, I'm sure that she is watching over you and that Katie is watching over me. Keep walking (collar and all) she'll be there with you.
Hugs, Cat
http://zencatart.typepad.com/catallard/2011/03/katie-louise-allard-.html

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Hugs... Ladron! I like this photo project. What a pretty dog! Exceptional shapes and colors to her.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Cat - So sorry to hear about Katie. I lost my cats Bunter and Whimsey, two brothers, who were with me nearly 20 years before Bow. Sending back comfort and love as you work through your loss.

Celeste - Thanks. She was truly unique and will never be forgotten.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home