Sunday, March 18, 2007

Junk Sort Update

Spend a few days sorting through more than a century of family mementos, jewels and junk and you know you'll run into a few surprises and oddities. I've already clocked in a couple of hours of video footage, some of which I'll post upon return and having wireless again.

This afternoon my sister and I found a packet of brochures from the Dale Carnegie Institute on a variety of benign career and family issues. Discreetly wedged in the middle of the half dozen pamphlets was one called "Sex Problems in a Marriage." Typical of the Eisenhower era, these were all addressed to my grandfather at his business address. Know report on how that little brochure worked, but they stuck together for 42 years.

And then I found this little oddity. No, it's not what it sounds like in the 2007 context, but then I could be wrong. Perhaps the good pastor and his various remedies of luring boys aged 10 to 17 into the righteous path. "Boys React Well to Action," the Straight Shooter author advises and recommends a number of all male outdoor activities that would make Walt Whitman proud. Sun, nature and a masculine atmosphere help turn a boy into a Straight Shooter.

I doubt my grandfather had any of the intent we might construe from the pamphlet's title today, but I suspect the author shares some thread of DNA with Ted Haggard.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

This would be a hit on Chicken Night at the bar! Very creepy...

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Veddy creepy. I don't think Gramps was a lecher, but apparently he knew one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home