Sunday, April 22, 2007

I Spork on the Grave of the Colonel!


Okay, I'll admit it, every six months or so, I used to get a hankering that I just could not hold back and would have to go into the only true fast food franchise on Valencia, the KFC at Hill Street. It was mainly about those fries, I'll admit, but I usually tried find a way to hide in one of the back booths since it's pretty rare that I don't run into a familiar face on Valencia. Just imagine the horror of one of my Herbivore buds catching me gnawing on an extra crispy wing, the grease dripping on my chin. I was once spied by a passing acquaintance who gave me a glare much more judgmental than if he'd seen me snorting crack (or do you shoot it?) as I put a "spork" full of that nasty cole slaw in my mouth. Cole slaw? Sorry, I just never got the appeal.

How fitting, then, that the new semi-upscale Spork has taken over the former KFC venue. The reviews on Yelp are generally positive, and I will likely try it out sometime in the next few weeks before it gets discovered.

One of the things that separates fast food venues' transformations in San Francisco from those in the Midwest is that here they become a place where you can now buy a $15 hamburger and in the "heartland" they become all-you-can-eat Chinese food buffets where you can get a platter full of heart-clogging food for $6.99. Same grease, new package.

I'm sure the food at Spork is good, but dern that grey exterior looks just like the Colonel's meat!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger WAT said...

Anything that can take over that wretched gross KFC is fine by me.

That place used to be good back in the 1970s. Or maybe I was just a kid then and all junk food was good to me.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Nah, I think it was just a lesser version of bad back then. You're better off shooting up than eating that garbage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home