Monday, April 16, 2007

Junk Thieves Be Not Proud


Ah, the familiar sounds of Monday night. To quote Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, "Clink, clink." The familiar weekly routine of the gleaners, recyclers and scavengers sorting through the debris of the past week. I have absolutely no problem with them except the sloppy ones who sort through our bins and throw what they don't want on the ground or throw black bin trash into the blue recycling bin. True scavengers know that is messing with fate, karma and the ghost of Anna Nicole.

The only time I came close to an altercation was when a gleaner pulled out several empty bottles of Charles Shaw from my neighbor's trash and remarked, "Man, even I don't drink that cheap shit!" (For those not in the Trader Joe's zone, Charles Shaw sells at $1.99 a bottle and is even called "two buck Chuck" by that retailer.)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:50 AM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I have the scavengers too. I once winessed a fight over a bag of bottles.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger The Blue Elephant said...

Have you seen Agnes Varda's THE GLEANERS?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home