Tuesday, April 17, 2007

One Man, Many Tools, Many Gone

I grew up in a part of the country where this infamous bumper sticker was very common, and I always wanted to respond: "Yeah, right, that's the whole idea." I hope this is my last post on the Virginia Tech news item, having just watched gun proponent Ted Nugent rant against why gun free zones don't work. I really don't have a desire to enter into the debate since like abortion there can be no debate, just screaming on both sides. But having spent plenty of time in Guatemala where guns were once in the hands of the two opposing sides, they did not go away with the signing of the peace agreement. Now Guatemala City is the second most violent city in the western hemisphere. It challenges the claim that guns alone are not the problem. It takes people to use them to kill, but the more guns that there are around, the more likely they are going to be used for murder. And, in the case of Blacksburg, it took one person and a lot of guns to do the damage.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, Blogger WAT said...

The only gun worth using is the big one I carry between my legs.

No violence there. Well, maybe just a little.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I agree. I suspect the guns with bullets are used to make up for disappointments from the lack of use of the ones made for pleasure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home