Friday, June 15, 2007

Propaganda, Reruns and Toys

When I used to travel to Vietnam for work back in the late 1990s, I was always amused that instead of being introduced as the PR coordinator of my organization I was called the propaganda minister. Propaganda in the U.S. has always been a dirty word, and we’ve deluded ourselves into saying we don’t have any even though we’re bombarded by it daily.

So I was pleased to know about the release of the four disc animated Soviet Propaganda films. It’s still a bit pricey for my tates at close to $100, but I’m sure it will eventually make it to my library, and last night I had great fun watching the Capitalist Sharks with six groovy little films. The best was called The Shareholder from 1963 that followed a factory worker named Michael Chase who is deluded into thinking that his life is secure because he holds one share of stock even though everything he owns was bought on credit. The little film has a wonderfully sexy, jazzy score and rhythm and twisted but not inaccurate view of American consumerism.

I could easily end up buying the entire series, and Soviet animation inspired, in part, the season finale of JunkThief TV. (My current profile photo is from that episode.) Speaking of which, I’m taking a hiatus on the little videos and can’t say exactly when we’ll return. Though there’ve been some nice comments and introductions, I have to admit that folks have not exactly been in tears while the screen is dark for a while. In the meantime, enjoy the reruns.

In the meantime I may have to follow WAT's lead and invest in this great little entertainment device. Hours of chills and thrills without ever leaving the comfort of your home.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Aunty Christ said...

May I point out that you post more when you're working overtime and "won't have time to post" than I do when I'm unemployed and procrastinating working on my resume? On the one hand, reading your blog helps with the procrastination effort, so thanks for that. On the other, I sure do feel like an even bigger loser now.

On the cat post, which I meant to comment on but (again) procrastinated in doing so ... yes! I have often dated Gallant during dry spells, and feel I am a more thoughtful single gal for the experience. I'm clearer about what I don't want in a date (shedding, licking ass, peeing on carpet), as well as what I do want (love, wuv, snuggwing). I'm sure your cat time has been equally fruitful.

And finally, thanks for linking to your show. I was having kind of a sad day, but that cheered me considerably. Those Gumby bodies! Loved it.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Aunty, I can't believe I'm saying it, but that was so sweet of you! Glad I could cheer you up a bit, but just don't turn sappy on me or I'll come up to Saskatoon and slap you around with a baby.

Sounds like we share similar thoughts on being selective about dating. It comes with age, I guess. My cat is abit neurotic, but at least he doesn't babble on about his insecurities, his anti-depressants, etc., etc.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you for the longest time if Aunty Depressant is your sister?

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger WAT said...

The device is fantastic! If you're patient enough and get used to it, you should start feeling amazing results by the third or third use. I MEAN, WOW! Perhaps, Imma write testimonial on the product page and link it to my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home