Saturday, September 08, 2007

Further Jewels from the Vault

Hey, ain't that jewel above just the grooviest thing you ever saw? It's an old purse of my mother's that around age 10 or 11 I turned into my case to hold 45s and stash of kiddie records. My aesthetic sense developed at a very early age, though some might argue it hasn't evolved much. I've got the original "Mommy's Little Helper" (not the Stones version but the one done by Joan Harris and the Toppers Orchestra on the Tops for Tots label) and other great hits.

It was one of the treasures I rescued from the basement of Lazy Acres this summer before the big estate sale. Since my folks held on to it for so many years, I just couldn't let it go. Since I've seen original issues of Abbey Road and other Fab Four discs fetch $100+, I'm curious what that little rarity below might go for on eBay. Naw, I think I'll hold on to it.

Buy me a couple of Jello shots and tell me you think I'm pretty, and I just might pull it out and play it for you. Uh, the 45, of course, what were you thinking I meant...

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Emily Suess said...

Gawd, George was so hot. Those are a couple of real gems you've got there. (The stuff in the pictures--what did you think I was talking about?)

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Dan said...

The Beatles?

The name rings a bell ... hmmm ... now where have I heard that name before? :)

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I'm not a big Beatles fan (I'm more of a Stones guy myself) but the shaggy "Let It Be" era is my favorite.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I'm surprised WAT hasn't responded to this.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Oh, give him time. I also have a vintage clothes hanger from "Yellow Submarine" that I should post.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

My God- I'm relatively certain that the 45 pictured there was only available as a Xmas giveaway to members of the Beatles' fan club, previous to its re-release on the album 'Rarities'.

Sheeit kid, you gotcher self a gooold mine there!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger WAT said...

Why should I respond? I hate The Beatles!

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - I think I bought it by setting aside 50 cents of my milk money in seventh grade. I am pretty sure I got it at a J.C. Penney.

WAT - Oh, I totally agree they're crap. That McCartney guy in particular is a not talent. He'll never come close to Britney Spears even on her bad days. That woman is a poet, sage and savior of the world. Rock on noble, Louisiana mama. Love her new Mama Cass in a two piece look.

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

BTW There were several versions of this single released. Depending on which version and condition the value runs anywhere from $475.00 to the low end about $50.00

It appears you have a curved cut sleeve. It may be a rare westcoast version. You may want to look into it,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home