Friday, December 21, 2007

Have Yourself a Very Weimar Weinachten



Am I the only one that caught the airing of the Rise and Fall of Mahagonny last night? Having long given up on any innovation coming from PBS, I do give a tip of the fedora to them for airing it at the peak of the gooey holiday specials. It was no surprise that Audra McDonald was brilliant and brought heart to a cartoon role, but at times she reminded me of Condi Rice -- a woman who whores herself to an evil empire in order to feed herself.=. Brecht's epic theater seems increasingly shrill and arch with the passage of time, but who can fault this production for melding together references to the Third Reich and Las Vegas. Mahagonny has long been a metaphor for many American boomtowns -- LA itself, Houston, Silicon Valley -- and echoes Kafka's Amerika.

This was a perfect finale to a year that brought us superb reissues of both Berlin Alexanderplatz and Threepenny Opera. I am humming Mortitat as I write this. "Violated...in her slumbers/Mackie, how much did you charge?"

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I wanted to see this and was all prepared but as I turned on the TV to watch I realized I was a day early and the next night I missed it. OY!

The first time I heard this song (that I remember anyway) was in the Broadway musical LoveMusik. I thought that was a wonderful show and right up your alley.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gary - You missed a great show, though it's out on DVD and in my library. LoveMusik wasn't bad, but nothing equals hearing actual Lenya. My routes to Weill/Brecht/Lenya go back to the late 1960s when I first saw Threepenny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home