Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Acid - Jackie - Alcatrez

Sometimes things just converge without even the slightest bit of intent. In today's mail was the latest issue of The New Yorker with a profile on the career of Otto Preminger. I also received my copy of his 1968 opus Skidoo. Amazingly, there's not one mention of it in the profile in The New Yorker. I won't say that Skidoo is either good or bad. However, among those films that include Carol Channing doing a striptease, Jackie Gleason doing LSD in Alcatrez and Groucho Marx cast as God, this one has no peers.

Best Harry Nilsson lyric in the soundtrack, which comes during the ballet of garbage cans -- which is the hallucination of the Alcatrez prison guards:

"...an old piece of ham is in love with some lamb..."

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

Yeah, that Preminger article was pretty good. Certainly made me want to revisit 'Anatomy of a Murder' again. I've owned that "tickling" (!) Ellington soundtrack since I was a damn teen.

And in further convergences, I just got 'The V.I.P's' from Netflix today.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - Convergence indeed. I've been listening to the Ellington soundtrack as a result of that article. I'll probably move on to Nilsson this afternoon.

Oh, I think you and Aunty Christ should star in a remake in the Burton-Taylor roles. I'll gladly fly in wearing my vicuna coat to play Max Buda. I already have the appropriate headgear.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger WAT said...

EEK! For a moment there I thought it was Gleason smiling on his deathbed.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - High, not dead.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

That is the one track that stands out aside from the Finale which you so kindly posted.

It sounds like a cross between a Charles Manson song(Garbage People) and The Courtship of Eddies Father.

Thanks to you I find that when I am in the car alone I sing: SCHEEEEDOOOOH SCHEEEEDOOOOH Bhetween the wonan shre there ish a teeeoooooowh.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - As with many of my escapades, it all goes back to a quick, random reference from Bryce Digdug.

It really makes me regret that my folks threw out that vibrating recliner in our romper room from the 1970s. It would come in so handy for recreating la Channing's finale. She has the same dyslexic way of counting that I have -- 1, 3, oh, and there was 2...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home