Saturday, January 12, 2008

Between Heaven & Girth

I am about to head out from the reportedly fattest city in the U.S. without once enduring what is considered the official state meal of cornbread, sausage and gravy, chicken fried steak and pecan pie (gag!). Actually I'd say that less than 5% of the people I encountered on the trip fit that profile, which either says a lot of the voracity of such rankings or the circles I whirled around in for a few days.

Among the three to four books I've been reading this trip was Michael Pollan's latest, In Defense of Food. While the first half or more felt like a rehash of Omnivore's Dilemma, his treatise for breaking from the "western diet" at the end is fairly solid albeit a tad obvious and simplistic.

I'm not sure how he'd feel about the above mentioned official state meal. Like Bryce Digdug, Mr. Pollan is not very fond of corn. I guess neither of those two are Mayan. When Hello Kitty and I were kicking around Mel Gibson in the manger, we noticed a corncob lodged in a the most curious of places, but we refrained from sharing too many details. Pollan did not seem to be interested in weighing in (sorry about that one) on the Four Pork Products of the Apocalypse, but Mel was gnawing on pork rinds when we found him.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger WAT said...

"I guess neither of those two are Mayan." HAHA! Great line.

My relatively still thin cousin (girl) just moved to Tulsa, OK not too long ago. I'm hoping now that a few years down the line she won't adopt the state's love of all things which make them so damn chunky as to make first place!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

WAT - Well, the diet would never draw me to live in Tulsa, but those constant gasoline comparisons where it's the cheapest city in the nation and SF is at the high end is a near lure. I've seen it for as low as $2.75 here. Wow, I feel like I should be partying like it's Nineteen-ninety-nine. (Insert cheesy synth line here.)

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Hey this is totally off topic but I hear the Castro is getting resurrected for the upcoming Harvey Milk picture. Have they started with the retrofit yet? If they have I may have to take a trip up there with my trusty camera to grab some pictures.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger CornFedBoy said...

My friend keeps insisting I come down there for a visit... hmmm, I guess I better diet prior to making the trip. My guess is - its all there is to do down there "Eat" until your waist is content. LOL. Wow, 2.75 for a gallon of gas? That's "blue light special" prices comparing to SF. Welcome home

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

I JUST KNEW pork rinds are associated with evil.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - Bush 1 LOVED pork rinds.

Gavin - I never go to the Castro but understand the renovations are just starting for the movie.

Roddster - I actualy had decent food while Fat City. But it will be good to be back home in SF.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

it is sure hard to keep up on the fattest city in the us.... seems just yesterday it was new orleans, also remember kansas city laid claim...and now I learn it's oklahoma city!

regardless, of who is # 1 the country overall is FAT and no wonder with all all that friggin' corn they put in processed food. I used to think the oil companies were evil incarnate but I think both oil and agribusiness share that claim.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Kimy - Yes, usually the honor goes to some city in Texas or Michigan. However, cross the street right here in slim and trim San Francisco to the hip St. Francis Ice Cream parlor frequented by cigarette smoking vegans, and you'll find enough calorie charged items -- most sans meat -- to send anyone into the E.R. Those skinny kids must go puke their breakfasts in the Bay or not eat until the middle of the week after their Sunday morning fix.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home