Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Oddness of the Near Past


Few things are as perplexing as the recent past as it starts developing an odd patina, even the morning after an event. I've been finding that in my obsessive transferring of VHS tapes to digital, a project that I started in 2006 and am intent on completing by the end of this summer. I've not made accurate estimate of just how many hours that translates out to, but I'd say it's somewhere between 1,500 to 2,100 hours. How many of these I'll actually sit down and watch again is probably slim, but at least I can say that I have that option. The shot on the right represents the stash I transferred from Friday morning until tonight. I promise that I have enough of a life that I don't sit deligently monitoring the process and usually don't do that many in one weekend. But it's been dreary and rainy lately.

The photo below has been circulating a lot the past six and a half years as an eerie premonition. But does anyone recall the video above that aired as a TV ad for Jet Blue in June 2001? Needless to say it was shelved three months later.

I will have to post some Enron commercials I've come across as well.

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I recall that commercial. It's odd how an icon can mean something wildly different over time.
Thank you for reminding me to NEVER throw away a video tape.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - Well, I'm not even throwing out some of the VHS tapes after the digitalization. However, I am forcing myself to throw out just a few things these days.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Yikes-that's an ominous image.
If I had all of your media, I would never leave the house!

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jill - It does remind me of how different to approach to Laguardia was back in the 1990s. The media is a good rainy night diversion. Now that the rains are clearing, I'll guess that I'll never get to the dozens of NEW DVDs I've acquired this winter but not watched. And even more books...

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

salty took the word right out of my mouth. YIKES! talk about illustrating the word foreshadowing!

wow. what a project you are undertaking - I think of such things would be great to do, but somehow can never get beyond the thought of it being just an idea....

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Kim - Well, I've done this with many stops and starts. I just hope completing this one will inspire me to take on similar ones of other collections needing such organizing.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Gary said...

wow, no, I don't remember this commercial at all. Freaky. And I envy you your organizational skills and tenacity. I am still trying to organize my photos. Good luck with this project.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gary - Well, much of my photos are organized, at least the digital ones, but many more are not. As the custodian of 150 years worth of family photos, I have a huge task on that one. Maybe I'll do it before I reach 80.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger WAT said...

Creppy shit man.

Someone at work found an old WTC tour guide that had the headline: THE CLOSEST YOU'LL EVER COME TO SEEING HEAVEN.

EEK!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home