Sunday, January 27, 2008

Yorkfest on York?

When I was growing up, Susannah York was in all the movies I wanted to see but my mother would not let me go to see. With roles in the likes of the Superman movies and The Loveboat in her later career it's easy to forget the steamroller of wonderfully lusty flicks she made in the 1960s and 1970s. Unfortunately, I came to see her as sort of a British Carol Lynley or Carroll Baker, not that that would be a bad thing.

But I'd never had a chance to catch her in The Killing of Sister George until picking it up on a whim today. I'd expected it to be arch and camp but am surprised at how straight forward it is, albeit with plenty of scenes of Susannah as the stay-at-home lipstick lesbian who manages to ruin her cigar chomping punishment by smiling with delight with each bite.

Watching it made me realize my need for a Susannah York marathon here on York Street. Maybe we could shut down the street and project her movies on a huge sheet on a balmy October night this autumn. Cumulatively her films add up to quite a bounty starting with Tom Jones, Freud (which I own in a rare WNET broadcast to DVD version), Happy Birthday, Wanda June, The Maids. The clincher, of course, would be to come across a copy of X, Y & Zee, the one that even when I pleaded, kicking and screaming on the floor, my mother refused to take me to see at the 14 Flags Drive In. That one definitely needs to be projected on an enormous sheet on a balmy October evening.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 6:50 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

I'd never heard of her before, but she's adorable...and if her films were enough to make your mama forbid you to see them-and for you to scream and kick about it-then I MUST seek these gems out.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I didn't realize that Susannah was ever a mainstay of "The Love Boat" (though I was fond of Carol Lynley's crooked upper lip showing up there and on "Fantasy Island" regularly).

The Killing of Sister George is an absolute masterpiece, and made me realize that London really was swinging in the 60s. My goodness, but that was a candidly lezzzzbian film! And even though it was frank, it still had over-the-top camp moments and quotable quotes aplenty! That Beryl Reid was something else! Kindly close that hatch!

And Coral Browne, who played the icy BBC Executive, was Vincent Price's long-term wife in real life.

Jill: you need to rent it pronto. Check out this YouTube clip for a small preview.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

K~J - Just about everyone was on "The Love Boat" sooner or later. Contrary to rumors, though, I turned them down, but Anderson Cooper's mom was on with Halston. My, you certainly know your British lesbian film lore!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Bryce Digdug said...

Moo! Moo!

and also my favorite line...

"Shut that bleeding hatch!"

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Bryce - "Not all girls are bloody raving lesbians, you know."

"That is a misfortune I am perfectly well aware of."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home