Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Other Di Vinci Code

With apologies to Kimy, Jill and other rodent-loving readers in this, The Year of the Rat, I present here my inevitable cuy post. In the past when I had cuy in the Andes it was pretty disgusting. It was usually either boiled or baked and was gray, greasy and disgusting. But this time is was perfectly grilled, and I had rib meat that tasted more like quail. I could actually grow fond of it.

I've never seen the signature photo above of the Last Supper with cuy, but I'd love to see it in the flesh some day.

However, as we were having dinner at the super groovy Las Palmeras just up the hill from Otavalo, on the second glass of wine, several of us leaned back to see the hilarious effigy of Our Lady of the Cuy towering above us, shown below. It also helped that after dinner I had a nearly orgasmic massage by a nerdy looking dude who had incredibly strong, Andean hands and a technique like none I'd had before. I tipped generously.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delicious!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Angry - Sadly, Customs nabbed my six back of cuy. However, you can always get them in Jackson Heights, Queens.

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Rodents - they're not just for breakfast anymore.

I'm not so adventurous as you are, in so many ways, including what I eat. No rodents on my dinner plate, puh-lease!!

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Dave said...

People ask me how I could have spent two weeks in Peru last year and not even tried the cuy. I tell them that after a week in the jungle eating piranha and beetle larvae, by the time cuy was an option, my stomach was all, "no mas." You're a better man than I am, Ladron.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

perhaps if you recite robbie burns 'to a mouse' 5 times, I will forgive you. no really, I won't hold it against you, so many people I love eat cute things. (hey I don't eat quail either) so apology accepted and forgiveness given.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger WAT said...

EW!

You didn't enjoy the cuy man. It's the massage afterwards that made it seem like u did.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger J. David Zacko-Smith said...

I've been fascinated by Cuy for a while. I'd give it a go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home