Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Seeking Advice in Order to Share the Joy

I gotta tell ya, I am so diggin' my little *ion TTUSB turntable. For an investment of just over $100, it is one of the best value purchases thus far in 2008. In barely four days, I've transfered several hundred dollars worth of tracks. I've scoffed for years at those who call me a vinyl purist, even though I have several thousand of those 12 inch ebony treasures and these days probably buy more of them than CDs.

However, although I've managed to find a few, at best, acceptable transfers of vinyl to MP3 through the years, they always lacked the real luster. This little tool, however, is just amazing. It has all the fidelity of the original material, and it's bone chilling at time to hear discs ingrained in my psyche 30 years or more back exactly as I recall them, sometimes with a little crackle or hiss, but usually with far more warmth and character than any digital commercial release.

What joy it is to hear, say, Lesley Gore singing "Only Last Night" or Joe Jackson covering three of his hits from 1982's seminal Night and Day in ...Spanish! The tune "Cancer" with its Latin rhythm really was meant for Spanish not English, and his diction is not half bad. Oh, and then there are all those Gang of Four, Janis Ian, Dory Previn, Pretty Things, Liquid Liquid, JoBoxers, Johnny Dynell, Cristina Monet, Smiths, Burt Bacharach etc. discs.

So now I am seeking a couple of suggestions from fellow readers:

* Do you have any recommendations on the best system/site/software for posting some of my favorites to this site?
* Do you have suggestions on the best way to embed or link playlists to blogger?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Scot said...

Putfile seems to work as a sort of file dumping site that you can link to, but when I've tried it in the past it's a little clunky. WAT has some sort of radio thingy on his blog, but not sure if that's what you're aiming for either. They're sort of lame suggestions, but since no one else has offerred anything, I thought I'd throw it out there.... There's also the option of creating a Myspace page as an artist and posting the tracks there, then linking to that player. It'll work until someone complains and they kill the page....

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Scot - Thanks. That actually loaded fine. (I've just added a link in this post for "El Cancer".)

Mr. Dittle - So you made $1600 in January and $800 in February? Sounds like you're on a downward spiral. Apparently you or your sight are leaking mojo big time. I still suggest you invest that extra cash in philanthropy for karmic points.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Scot said...

Thanks for sharing "Cancer". Wait, that statement sounds odd. I listened to the song is what I'm trying to say, not I contracted a desease from you. I have this tendancy to hear things in songs, and I hear Joe Jackson singing about Dorthy's dog; but then I don't speak Spanish

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Scot - Thanks again for helping me post it...and for not actually contracting cancer. Uh, no mention of Dorothy and her dog in that lyric that I am aware of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home