Saturday, June 28, 2008

Evelyn Waugh - Master of Action Packed Suspense

Although I have no opinion of the film itself at this point, the trailer for the new big screen treatment of Brideshead Revisited has me scratching my head. It starts off straight forward and predictable enough, but the music and editing in the last third of this trailer had me laughing at the screen as it made you think you were seeing the coming attractions for Die Hard 8. Maybe they wanted to avoid people dismissing it as a Merchant-Ivory clone or big screen Masterpiece Theater. Personally this was never my favorite Waugh opus, and I'd rather see something like Vile Bodies or a proper remake of The Loved One be remounted.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:43 AM, Blogger Gavin Elster said...

The inappropriate music was the only thing that kept me awake during the trailer. Why? Why remake this? Oh wait... I get it.

"Hey Cyril... Remember that Head of the Bride thing."
Cyril: "Wot you mean Brideshead?"
"Yeah thats the one Do we still own the rights?"
"Sure do Miss Millie."
"Well... can't we remake that? I'm tired of looking at scripts. All this page turning is giving me a blister.Look! Oh... and its almost Tea."
"Sure thing Crumpet. "

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Gavin - The 1981 TV version is mighty grainy, but this one seems pretty inappropriate.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

was the original jeremy irons breakout? I do remember loving it when it was first on pbs... why can't folks leave good enough alone???? yeah, yeah, silly question....

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - Emma Thompson might be fine in this but still not Claire Bloom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home