Thursday, June 05, 2008

Last Virgin Standing?

While it's hard to get too teared up about a big box store closing, the announcement of the Times Square Virgin Megastore closing furthers the lingering doubt about how long there will still be one in Union Square. I can't remember how many years it's been since I actually bought music there, but thinking that Best Buy would be the only big box choice for DVDs (they've never heard of Criterion, Kino or most of the labels I seek out) is chilling. It's not as if we don't have Streetlight, Amoeba, Rasputin and this internets thing I keep hearing about, but there is still something about such a big box store that does evoke old memories of trips to "real cities" in my youth and the excitement of picking up music that was not Journey or Rick Springfield. I'm sure there were similar sentiments when sheet music stores started shutting down.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger marxsny said...

I used to work on Union Square about a block from the Virgin store with the smoking sculpture and counting numbers. I have not been there in years but the last few times I was in the Times Square store I left empty handed because they did not have what I was looking for. But you know, who is going to have the collected works of Susan Anton ;-D not surprised they are going the way of Tower Records.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mark - I always preferred Tower to Virgin. Is HMV still around? Yes, finding the collected works of Susan Anton and Vicki Carr is difficult. However, come visit me in SF and we can go to Medium Rare Records on Market in the Castro where you'd probably find all of those plus Lorna Luft, Rosalind Kind, Rusty Warren et. al.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger jason said...

I'm sorry to see it go. Ours folded a few years ago, no surprise.
I've been to that one in Union Square a few times.

anyway, I'm living like a luddite, so I've only just this year gotten a cd player in my car...and no cds left post K.

I spent all day yesterday in the sad place called Best Buy. I don't think I will ever return.

I just got back from of all places the public library....filled with cds that you would imagine librians might like (which is not quite a criticism, just an observation)
I guess it's online from now on. Sad.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Jason - Don't librarians usually like Susan Anton?

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger J. David Zacko-Smith said...

I was in the Virgin store in both Times Square and Union Square many times, though not in years. Actually, I don't know when I last bought music in a store of any kind (besides the i-Tunes store). ;-) I do miss the great Tower Records we had here in Seattle (well, the OLD one, the new one is just not the same).

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

JDZS - You still have a Tower? Is that the one down at the foot of Queen Anne Hill?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home