Wednesday, July 23, 2008

See Baku Before It's Lost

Just as the first half of the 20th century saw the demise of the British Empire, the same is now, fortunately, happening to the U.S. Empire. Fears of the "Manhattanizing" of urban skylines is quickly being replaced by the Shanghaiing or Dubaiing of skylines. That's not necessarily an improvement as evidenced in this rendering of these hideous spots being planned for once unassuming Baku. I need to plan my visit soon before the city is lost.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Blogger Ruby said...

I'm not the most geography inclined person so I'm not sure where Baku is, but I have to admit I hate to see beautiful city's become a crap-artist's playground with new buildings such as these. If you get to Baku before it's cheapened post some pictures.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Ruby - Baku is the capital of Azerbaijan on the Caspian Sea. I doubt I'll make it there in the next couple of years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home